Vehicle access to malls
To ensure pedestrian safety, traffic restrictions apply to all malls. You must obtain a permit of vehicle access for cars, trucks and other types of vehicles. Bicycles and skateboards are not permitted to be ridden in mall areas at any time.
Fixed, removable and retractable bollards are installed at the entries to the Queen Street Mall and fixed and removable bollards are installed in the Brunswick Street Mall and Chinatown Mall.
Vehicle entry to the Queen Street Mall is via removable bollards at the George Street entry and retractable bollards at the Edward Street entry.
Vehicle entry to the Brunswick Street and Chinatown Mall is via removable bollards at the Ann and Wickham Street entries
There is no vehicle entry after 7am to Queen Street Mall and after 9:30am to the Brunswick Street Mall and Chinatown Mall (Monday to Friday) and 7am (Saturday and Sunday).
Retractable and removable bollards will be raised and secured at 7am in the Queen Street Mall.
Removable bollards will be secured in the Brunswick Street and Chinatown Mall at 9:30am (Monday to Friday) and 7am (Saturday and Sunday).
Vehicles that remain on the malls after the bollards are raised or secured may receive an infringement notice and be removed from the mall by Brisbane City Council.
Find out about the unique vehicle access requirements that apply to King George Square.
When you need a permit
A permit is required for cars, trucks and other types of vehicles to enter malls for valid reasons.
Examples of valid reasons include:
- for the purpose of loading or unloading goods when a business located in a mall does not have access to a laneway or commercial parking area
- when tradespeople who are working at businesses located in a malls require access to tools and materials
Permitted access times
|Location||Monday to Friday||Weekends|
|Queen St Mall||midnight - 7am||2am - 7am|
|Reddacliff Place||midnight - 7am||2am - 7am|
|Brunswick St Mall||midnight - 9.30am||6am - 7am|
|Chinatown Mall||midnight - 9.30am||6am - 7am|
Strict weight restrictions apply to all vehicles with a combined gross vehicle maximum (CGVM) being less than 12 tonnes.
Note: Authorised vehicle entry/exit to Queen Street Mall is via George Street and Edward Street only.
When no permit is needed
Strollers, prams, wheelchairs and motorised disability assistance devices used for their normal purposes do not require a permit.
Permits are not needed for Queen Street Mall when:
- motor vehicles are only entering Burnett Lane (via Albert Street) from Adelaide Street
- motor vehicles are exiting or entering private laneways or loading bays that are only accessible from Albert Street
- bicycles or wheeled recreational vehicles are being pushed or carried through the Mall in a manner which does not cause annoyance, hindrance or obstruction to pedestrians.
Permits are not needed for Brunswick Street and Chinatown malls when:
- motor vehicles are exiting or entering the car park adjoining Chinatown Mall during its hours of operation via the entry or exit lanes in Duncan Street
For an annual vehicle access permit, you will need to pay an application fee of $24.60 and a licence fee of $190 when making the application.
For weekly permits, the application fee is $12.30 and a permit fee of $4.10 each week or part thereof is payable.
These fees do not attract GST.
How to apply
Permits take five working days to process.
To apply online please complete the Malls Traffic Permit Application online form and pay by credit card.
If you have any questions call City Malls management on 07 3403 8195.