Other driveway approvals

Your driveway project may involve additional work that must be carried out or approved by Brisbane City Council or other organisations.

Brisbane City Council

You must get permission from Council before carrying out the below activities:

You must request that Council carry out the following activities on your behalf: 

  • relocating a parking meter or traffic sign
  • changing pavement markings
  • pruning, removing or relocating an existing street tree or its roots
  • relocating a bus stop.

For more information about any of the listed activities, contact Council.

Urban Utilities

You must phone Urban Utilities on 13 26 57 in relation to the below requests:

  • relocating your water meter
  • relocating a sewerage maintenance hole
  • incorporating a sewerage maintenance hole into your driveway.


If a Telstra pit or manhole is in the proposed driveway location, phone Telstra on 1800 810 443.

Department of Transport and Main Roads

If the property is adjacent to a state controlled road, you will need permission from the Department of Transport and Main Roads to complete your project. Requirements may include:

  • access approval
  • temporary lane closure
  • traffic management permits.

For information on closure of a main road, visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads website.

Queensland Police

Once you have approval from Council or the Department of Transport and Main Roads to close a road, you will also need authorisation from Queensland Police for the road closure. To obtain a permit, phone:

  • Queensland Police Metro North on 07 3354 5137
  • Queensland Police Metro South on 07 3364 3131. 
Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.