Residential driveway permits
A residential driveway provides car access for a single detached house. You need a permit before you build, repair or modify a residential driveway.
To learn about Brisbane City Council's standards and requirements for residential driveways, download the:
How to apply
To obtain a residential driveway permit you can:
- apply for a self-assessment and submit a completed application (if you meet requirements)
- apply for a full assessment (including on-site inspection) by a Council officer.
You cannot apply for a self-assessment if you:
- require an additional driveway
- require a driveway wider than five metres on large lots and wider than three metres on small lots
- require a driveway where you require removal or relocation of Council assets (such as parking meters, water meters, traffic islands and bus stops)
- require a driveway within nine metres of a minor intersection or 18 metres of a major intersection
- require a driveway within one metre of a street tree or its canopy dripline
- cannot comply with Council's standard drawings.
If you have any of the above, you must apply for an on-site inspection and assessment by a Council officer.
To apply for a self-assessment, complete the permit to construct a residential driveway online form.
Council will send a permit to download, if:
- your driveway meets all the requirements
- you have submitted your application; and
- paid the relevant application fee.
You may need to upload supporting documents as Word, PDF or JPG files if you have:
- approval to remove or relocate Council or other organisation's assets
- photos of existing damage to kerb, channel, footpath and/or road surface.
You may require other driveway approvals if there are obstacles in the way of the proposed driveway site.
If you need assistance designing a driveway that meets the standards, you must:
- prepare a site plan with the location of the proposed driveway
- complete an application/notice to work on Council property online form:
- upload supporting documents
- pay the relevant fee with Visa or Mastercard.
A Council officer will inspect the site within 20 working days to complete an assessment. You may require other driveway approvals if there are obstacles in the way of the proposed driveway site.
Council may refuse a residential driveway permit if the proposed driveway cannot meet the standards.
If Council approves your application, we will issue a permit with relevant conditions. The permit for building, modifying or repairing a driveway is valid for 12 months from the issue date. You must complete all work within this period.
You will need to apply for a new permit if you do not complete the work within the 12 month period.