Code assessable development applications
Under the Brisbane City Plan 2014 (City Plan), a Code assessable development application is expected development. It does not require public notification.
When undertaking development identified as requiring code assessment under City Plan, you need to:
- submit a development application to Brisbane City Council, and
- have it approved before starting any activity or development.
A Code assessable application is assessed against all the applicable codes identified in Brisbane City Plan 2014 as assessment.
Code assessable development
Part 5 of City Plan identifies the rules for determining the category of assessment for development.
To identify if your development is Code assessable, refer to the relevant table of assessment for that component of development in Part 5, either:
- material change of use
- reconfiguring a lot
- operational work or
- building work.
and find the category of assessment applicable to the zone or zone precinct of the site.
Overlays and neighbourhood plans may change the category of assessment that applies to the zone or zone precinct.
Part 5.3.1 of the scheme outlines the process for determining the hierarchy of assessment levels:
- Zone category of assessment (lowest).
- Neighbourhood plan category of assessment.
- Overlay category of assessment (highest).
To find out if your site is in a neighbourhood plan or overlay area, look at the key facts about a property.
Where a proposal is identified as requiring code assessment, it must be assessed against:
- only the identified codes in the assessment benchmarks column of the category of development and assessment table for that development type, including any prescribed secondary codes.
Under Brisbane’s Infrastructure Charges Resolution, Council may include infrastructure charges notices with the development approval.
Infrastructure charges relate to trunk infrastructure networks for:
- public parks and land for community facilities
Queensland Urban Utilities may issue a separate infrastructure charges notice for water supply and sewerage purposes.
Find out about fees for Code assessable applications.
For more information phone Council on 07 3403 8888 to speak to a Town Planner.