Building search provides data extract of building approval records in a letter.
Building search types
A comprehensive building search consists of the three search types as listed below. Building search fees are applied for each search type selected.
1. Building records search
- List of building approvals dating back to 1946.
- Limited to building application number, brief description of proposed building work and approval date.
2. Final certification searches (as applicable)
Building inspection search (detached dwelling)
- List of building inspection/final inspection dates for each building approval.
- This search applies to detached dwelling (standalone house) and associated structures.
Certificate of occupancy search
- List of certificates of occupancy and copy of certificate/s, if in Council's records.
- This search applies to, for example and not limited to: warehouse, office, shop, unit/apartment, attached house/townhouse/duplex. All buildings built after 1 April 1976 require a certificate of occupancy (formerly referred to as a certificate of classification) unless the building is a single detached class 1a building or a class 10 building or structure.
3. Building property notice search
- List of any outstanding building property notices issued in accordance with the Building Act 1975 and Planning Act 2016.
How to lodge a building search
There are two levels of service, fees apply for each search type and level of service.
- standard – within 10 business days after the date of lodgement
- fast track – within three business days after the date of lodgement
You can lodge a building search online and pay by credit card.
Alternatively, download the building search application (PDF - 71kb) and lodge the application form by:
- visiting Council and make payment in person
- mail the application with a cheque payment to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.