Researching a property
Zoning, neighbourhood plans and overlays
- what you are able to use the property for under Brisbane’s planning rules
- the property's development potential
- approvals required for common residential and business projects.
You can phone Council on 07 3403 8888 to speak with a town planner. They can provide more information about whether your proposal requires a development application.
To identify the flood risk for a property:
Advice in writing
You can purchase the following conveyancing searches:
- inspection of records search - financial position information and other issues
- planning and development certificate - development applications and approvals
- building search - for building approvals.
You can get expert help from industry professionals, such as:
- town planners - to understand the development potential of your property
- solicitors - to assist you with the purchasing process.
Property sale information
Information about previous sale prices for a property is available by visiting Queensland Valuation and Sales (QVAS).
The Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ) provides statistical information for property sales, such as median house prices for a particular suburb.
Understand the local area
View Council’s Brisbane suburbs information to access suburb maps and find details of the local parks and libraries.
You can also download free Community Profiles that provide detailed demographic, social and economic information about each suburb.
Other useful links
The Queensland Government also provides information for buying and owning a home.
Council's fact sheet, Using the City Plan, can provide additional information.