Whether you are building a new house, dual occupancy, multiple dwelling or extending, raising or renovating an existing house or unit, Brisbane City Council provides the information you will need to undertake your project. This includes preferred locations and other approvals you may need.

Council also provides the information you will need to build or extend on a small lot or to demolish, remove or relocate a house in Brisbane.

New house

Most houses may be built in residential parts of the city without a planning application, subject to meeting some basic rules.

Small lot projects

A house may be built on a small lot in residential parts of the city without a planning application as long as the house meets some rules.

Dual occupancy

A dual occupancy may be built in some parts of the city and requires planning approval from Council.

Multiple dwellings (including build-to-rent dwellings)

If you are considering building a multiple dwelling, you will need planning approval from Council. For build-to-rent Multiple dwellings in a Principal centre, Major centre, Mixed use (Inner city) and High density residential zone, or for build-to-rent development being delivered, owned and maintained by a not-for-profit housing provider, Council is temporarily providing special assistance and incentives to facilitate housing supply.

Extensions, raising and renovations

Planning on extending, renovating or raising your house? Find out what you need to do to meet the building and planning requirements for extensions, raising and renovations.

Demolishing, removal and relocating

If you are planning to remove, relocate or demolish a building, or part of a building in Brisbane, you will need to check if the property is part of a protected area that requires planning approval from Council.

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.