Do I need plumbing approval

In Queensland, there are four categories of plumbing and drainage work. The below information is useful for determining when Council approval is required for plumbing and drainage work and when a licensed plumber is required to undertake the work.

Licensed plumbers

All plumbing and drainage work, other than unregulated work, must be carried out by a licensed plumber or drainer. To confirm a plumber or drainer is in possession of a current suitable licence, visit the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) website or phone the QBCC on 13 93 33.

Permit work

Permit work is any plumbing and drainage work that is not included within the following categories: notifiable work, unregulated work and minor work. Permit work requires Council assessment and approval prior to plumbing and drainage work commencing and at least one inspection.

Notifiable work

Notifiable work can be performed without Council approval or mandatory inspections but must be performed by a licensed plumber. The licensed plumber must notify the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) to advise that the work has been completed by completing a Form 4 on their website. Notifiable work includes the majority of work undertaken in existing buildings, such as the installation of new fixtures in bathrooms or kitchen renovations. For a full list, refer to the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019 Schedules 1 (PDF - 1Mb).

Minor work

Minor work includes installations of apparatus; maintaining, repairing or removing a fitting or fixture; and installing a greywater diversion device, among various other kinds of work. For a full list, refer to the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019 Schedules 2 (PDF - 1Mb). This work must be undertaken by a licensed plumber but does not require Council notification.

Unregulated work

Unregulated work does not require a licensed plumber, Council notification or approval. For a full list, refer to the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019 Schedules 3 (PDF - 1Mb).

More information

Find out more about plumbing and drainage by phoning Council on 07 3403 8888 for residential customers, or 133 BNE (133 263) for business customers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.