Stormwater and roofwater drainage

As part of any major residential or commercial building project, it may be necessary to connect to, build over, or work in the vicinity of Brisbane City Council owned and non-Council owned stormwater drainage infrastructure. Find out about connecting to or building over or near Council stormwater drainage infrastructure, as well as how to purchase copies of stormwater drainage plans and roofwater drainage plans from Council.

Copies of stormwater drainage plans

Stormwater drainage plans show Council and non-Council owned stormwater drainage infrastructure including:

  • enclosed drainage
  • open drains
  • stormwater gullies
  • field inlets
  • headwalls
  • culverts
  • swales
  • outlets
  • inter-allotment roofwater drainage
  • kerb and channel
  • detention basins
  • bio-retention basins
  • overland flow easements.

Stormwater drainage infrastructure may be located in the street, on private property or in dedicated drainage easements.

To purchase a copy of an as-constructed stormwater drainage plan, visit Council or phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and request to speak to the Plan Custodian.

If you only want a specific section or specific plans from a plan set, you may view plans any Council Customer Centre. Selected copies may then be purchased.

Copies of roofwater drainage plans

Private roofwater drainage infrastructure (downpipes, grated inlets, underground roofwater pipes, basement stormwater pump-out systems) for dwelling houses and commercial or multi-dwellings which is located within the private property may be shown on the drainage plans (dwelling houses) and is usually shown on as-constructed hydraulic plans (commercial or multi-dwellings).

Find information on how to obtain drainage plans and as-constructed hydraulic plans

Connecting to Council stormwater drainage infrastructure

An application/notice to work on Council property must be submitted to Council to connect stormwater or roofwater pipes from a residential or commercial development to any of the following:

  • kerb and channel
  • open drain
  • swale
  • enclosed drainage
  • stormwater gully
  • culvert.

Building over or near Council stormwater drainage infrastructure

To build over or near Council stormwater drainage infrastructure, referral agency advice may be required from Council.

Find information on how to obtain this advice.

More information

For more information about stormwater drainage, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

  • residential customers can phone Council on 07 3403 8888 
  • business customers can phone 133 BNE (133 263).
Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.