Building a shed

Before you build a shed in Brisbane, check if you need development and/or building approval. Find out the key facts about your property, including zoning, neighbourhood plans and overlays.


A 'shed' is a non-habitable Class 10a building used in conjunction with a residential use on the same site. Under Brisbane City Plan 2014, a shed is subject to the same assessment process as a dwelling house.

Phone Council on 07 3403 8888 for advice if your proposed shed is associated with a non-residential use, such as a warehouse or farm.

Development approval

Find out whether your proposed shed is accepted development, subject to requirements, or if you require development approval based on your property's zoning.

Residential zones

A shed may be accepted development, subject to requirements. This includes sheds on properties located in the dwelling house character overlay and in one of the following zones:

Accepted development does not require Council approval. However, the development must meet all identified criteria specified in the relevant codes. You will not need development approval from Council to commence your shed project, provided you:

If your proposed shed does not comply with the identified criteria in the codes, you will need a planning application (development approval).

Other zones

A shed may also be accepted development subject to requirements. This is subject to compliance with identified requirements if your property is in one of the following zones:

Neighbourhood plans

A neighbourhood plan may change the level of assessment for your property. Find out the key facts about the property to see if a neighbourhood plan applies to your site. Check the category of assessment for a dwelling house in any applicable neighbourhood plan.


Overlays may affect the category of assessment required for your shed. Find out the key facts about the property to see what overlays apply.

The following overlays do not change the category of assessment of a shed associated with a dwelling:

  • airport environs 
  • bicycle network
  • commercial character building 
  • critical infrastructure and movement network 
  • extractive resources 
  • industrial amenity 
  • pre-1911 building 
  • road hierarchy 
  • streetscape hierarchy 
  • transport air quality corridor 
  • transport noise corridor 
  • landslide (where not involving filling and excavation)
  • potential and actual acid sulphate soils (where not involving filling and excavation)
  • regional infrastructure corridors and substations (where not involving filling and excavation).

If the following overlays impact your project, the shed may still be accepted development, subject to compliance with identified requirements: 

  • coast hazard 
  • flood 
  • significant landscape tree 
  • waterway corridors 
  • traditional building character

Phone Council on 07 3403 8888 for specific advice.

If the following overlays impact your property, your shed will is likely to require planning approval:

  • biodiversity areas 
  • heritage 
  • waterway corridors 
  • wetland.​

Building approval

If you want to build a shed you may need a building approval. A building approval is in addition to any planning approval that you need.

You can seek advice and/or arrange for building approval through a building certifier. You must give the certifier scaled and detailed plans prepared by a draftsperson or architect.

You must design and construct your shed as a Class 10a building under the National Construction Code (or Building Code of Australia).

According to the Building Regulation 2006 and the Queensland Development Code, you do not need building approval if your shed:

  • is no more than 10 square metres in area
  • is no more than 2.4 metres in height (with an average mean height of no more than 2.1 metres)
  • is no longer than five metres to any side
  • will not affect the structural integrity of existing buildings, retaining walls or other structures on property or the adjoining property
  • will not alter an existing pool enclosure or pool fence.

You are responsible for ensuring the work complies with applicable standards. These include structural sufficiency, size limits, fire separation and boundary setbacks, outlined in the following laws (building assessment provisions):

Council recommends you obtain advice from a licensed private building certifier or contractor. This ensures your project complies with building assessment provisions.

If your shed does not fulfil all of the above requirements, have it assessed and approved by a licensed private building certifier. The Yellow Pages list private certifiers under building surveyors. You must give the certifier scaled and detailed plans prepared by a draftsperson or architect.

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.