Find out the key facts about your property and if planning approval is required before you build a fence.

General requirements

Building and planning approvals are generally not required for a proposed front, side or rear boundary fence, if the fence is:

  • associated with a dwelling house (or other residential use)
  • less than two metres high
  • not a swimming pool fence (swimming pool fences have their own requirements)
  • not part of a retaining wall
  • not restricting water run-off from adjoining properties.

If your proposed fence does not meet these general requirements, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 for advice.


Check the key facts about your property to see if there are any constraints. If there are constraints, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 for advice specific to your situation.

As a guideline, you will need to contact Council for advice if your fence is part of a proposal to:

Building approval

Building Regulation 2006 advises building approval is not required if a proposed fence is no higher than two metres above the natural ground surface.

You will require building approval for:

  • a regulated pool fence; or
  • a fence that would be greater than two metres above the natural ground surface.

You are responsible for ensuring the building work complies with applicable standards. This includes structural sufficiency, size limits, fire separation and boundary setbacks. These are outlined in the following laws (building assessment provisions):

Council recommends you obtain advice from a licensed private building certifier or contractor to check if your project complies with building assessment provisions.

You will need to have your project assessed and approved by a licensed private building certifier if it does not meet all of the above requirements. The Yellow Pages lists certifiers under 'building surveyors'. You must provide scaled and detailed plans prepared by a draftsperson or architect.

Neighbourhood disputes

The Queensland Government regulates fencing, including how to resolve disputes between neighbours.

The Neighbourhood Disputes (Dividing Fences and Trees) Act 2011 deals with constructing and repairing fences that divide adjoining land. It aims to help you obtain a monetary contribution from your neighbour. Instructions include how to resolve any disputes.

The Queensland Government has guides to avoiding, resolving and mediating tree and fence disputes.

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.