Lodging a properly made application

A development application is properly made when it has satisfied the requirements under section 51(5) of the Planning Act 2016 (Planning Act). A change application for changing a development approval is properly made when it has satisfied the requirements under section 79 of the Planning Act.

For both a development application and a change application, the application must:

  • be made using the applicable form (State Forms 1, 2, or 5)
  • be accompanied by the documents required by the applicable form/s
  • be accompanied by the required fee
  • contain the written consent of the owner of the premises if
    • the applicant is not the owner; and
    • the application is for material change of use of premises, or reconfiguring a lot; or prescribed tidal work; and
    • the premises are not excluded premises; or
    • the application is a change application. 

If the application is a change application for a minor change where the development approval involved a referral agency, it must be accompanied by a pre-request response from each referral agency.

Download the:

Land owned by Council

If your application includes Council owned land, owner's consent from Council will be required. Complete the owner's consent online form.

For more information about owner's consent to include Council owned land, please email bi-landuse@brisbane.qld.gov.au.

What supporting information is required by the Planning Act?

Development applications require the following information to support the application:

  • a planning report and other technical reports that demonstrate how the development complies with Brisbane City Plan 2014 (City Plan) and, where applicable, the State Planning Policy (SPP) and the State Development Assessment Provisions (SDAP)
  • plans of the development.

What supporting information is required by Brisbane City Council (Council)?

Submission of the following supporting information will assist Council in the assessment of the application:

  • completed Development Services online lodgement form
  • Erosion Hazard Assessment form
  • land owner’s consent including:
  • planning reports, which should include statements about how the proposed development addresses City Plan and include the zone code, neighbourhood plan code (if applicable) and any relevant overlays. The statements should also deal with any other planning documents relevant to the application.
  • proposed plans
    • site plans including:
      • location, boundaries and road frontages of the relevant land
      • north point
      • any existing and proposed easements on the relevant land and function
      • all vehicle access points and existing or proposed car parking areas
      • plans showing the size, location, existing floor area, existing site cover, existing maximum number of storeys and existing maximum height above natural ground
    • plans showing the extent of any demolition that is assessable development
    • floor plans including:
      • north point
      • intended use of each area/rooms labelled
      • existing and proposed built form
      • where applicable, the gross floor area (GFA) and total figures for areas that do not form the definition of GFA but are activities that are integral to the use of the development
    • elevations drawn to an appropriate scale that show plans of all building elevations and facades, clearly labelled to identify orientation (e.g. north elevation).

Supporting documents

The table below provides the details of signatures and supporting documents required to satisfy Council of the authenticity of owner’s consent in a number of common circumstances.

Details of types of entities and the signatures and supporting documents required to satisfy Council of the authenticity of owner's consent in common circumstances
Type of entitySignatures requiredSupporting documentation
Body Corporate (owner of common property under a Community Management Scheme)2 x committee members – usually Chair and Secretary and usually signed under seal.  (Note:  Section 190 Body Corporate Community Management Regulation Accommodation Module 2008).Resolution of the Body Corporate authorising the committee members to sign under seal or to make the application with their land.
TrustTrustee of the trustTrust deed or appointment of trustee documentation.
Deceased EstateExecutor/s of the estateWill or appointment of executor or letter of authority.
Divorced/ Separated partiesEach owner of the land identified on the title deed, unless authority for the other is given e.g. by order of the Court.If land is to be transferred to one party subject to Court orders, a copy of the Court orders, authority for one party to sign for the other.
Religious GroupsWill depend on the legal structure.
If a charitable trust – as per trust requirements and if trustee is a company, the company requirements.
A copy of the Trust deed or if the trustee is a company, company search or a letter from the legal representative that they have authority to sign.
Not for profit (NFP)Will depend on the Legal Structure.
If an Associated Incorporation, secretary of the Association.
Certification of Incorporation.
Community OrganisationsWill depend on the Legal Structure.
If an Associated Incorporation, secretary of the Association.
Certification of Incorporation.
Power of AttorneyPerson who holds power of attorneyCopy of the Power of Attorney document they are appointed under, s14 Power of Attorney Act.
Recently sold propertyCurrent ownersIf Title Search reveals old owners, a copy of the contract of sale or letter from solicitors confirming the sale.

How do I lodge my application?

All change or development applications can be lodged with Council by one of the following methods.

Find out more information about application lodgement methods.

How much will it cost? 

Application fees vary depending on the type of development you are undertaking. Find out information about development services assessment and compliance fees.

Application fees are not paid at the time of submitting your application, unless you are submitting an Operational work or Brisbane City Council compliance assessment application request online.

Once your application has been checked and meets requirements, Council will issue you a fee quote.

How can I pay for my application?

Once you receive your fee quote you can make a payment using one of the following methods:

  • BPAY - Council can accept BPAY up to $100,000. BPAY information will be provided on the fee quote
  • Credit card payment (MasterCard or Visa) using BPOINT, an online credit card method of payment at www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/paybills
  • Cash and cheque payments lodged in person at a Regional Business Centre.

More information

For more information about lodgement of properly made development applications, visit Council's website or phone on 07 3403 8888.

Last updated:10 May 2019