Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan
On Tuesday 26 November 2019, Brisbane City Council adopted an amendment to Brisbane City Plan 2014 (City Plan) to incorporate the Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan. The amendment came into effect on 28 February 2020.
Brisbane City Council collaborated with the local communities in Banyo, Northgate, Nundah, Virginia, Nudgee and Hendra to prepare the Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan since late 2016.
The plan will guide the area's future growth and change, in a way that complements its character while encouraging more local jobs, services and activities.
Highlights of the plan include:
- extending protections to 119 additional properties to maintain traditional building character
- protecting five additional heritage, four additional pre-1911 and nine additional commercial character buildings
- creating more space for businesses to expand and host up to 5000 new jobs, and support two future employment precincts at Northgate and Virginia (around Bindha station)
- ensuring that industrial activities important for Brisbane's jobs and economy can continue to thrive in the area
- allowing the Banyo centre to expand and provide more local services
- increasing opportunities to provide housing diversity.
Download the final adopted version of the plan:
Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan area
View the Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan area in a larger map.
The boundaries of the Banyo-Northgate plan area include:
- Nundah Creek and the Virginia Golf Club to the north
- the East-West Arterial Road to the south
- Southern Cross Way and the Gateway Motorway to the east
- Sandgate Road and the Toombul-Nundah Neighbourhood Plan to the west.
You can also download the Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan area (PDF - 438kb).
Brisbane's Future Blueprint
After input from more than 100,000 residents, in June 2018 Council released Brisbane's Future Blueprint with eight principles to guide decisions for Brisbane. One of these principles is creating a city of neighbourhoods where residents are close to the services they need and the lifestyle and leisure options they want.
Council creates plans like the Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan to help make this long-term vision a reality.
Register for updates
You can register to receive regular email updates about City Plan and planning and development in Brisbane.
To receive information about Council's projects and programs, including invitations to have your say, sign up to Council's Your City Your Say.
For more information about the Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan, you can: