Better Suburbs Initiative
The Better Suburbs Initiative has been established to investigate opportunities for renewal in suburbs that are outside the city's inner five kilometres. Creating better Brisbane suburbs will enhance quality of life within local communities through enhanced economic performance and infrastructure investment. This initiative is one of the ways Brisbane City Council is planning for the future and ensuring Brisbane remains a city of neighbourhoods, by looking for opportunities to renew suburban centres and places.
The Better Suburbs Initiative will identify opportunities for viable investment and reinvigoration of Brisbane suburbs, facilitating greater employment, leisure and retail opportunities closer to where people live.
The objectives of the Better Suburbs Initiative include:
- identify opportunities to enable renewal of strategic suburban locations, in a manner which facilitates development in partnership with local investors and the local community
- facilitate a coordinated approach to infrastructure delivery, planning and development issues in suburban locations throughout Brisbane
- facilitate the successful delivery of projects, services and initiatives for suburban locations throughout Brisbane
- consider future priorities for investment to help inform budget processes and cross-government projects.
The first pilot project area for the Better Suburbs Initiative to identify opportunities is within Moorooka.
The Better Suburbs Initiative is a portfolio of the Urban Futures Brisbane Board.
To find out more about the Better Suburbs Initiatives you can:
- subscribe to receive updates about the initiative.
- email the project team
- contact Council
- write to:
Neighbourhood Planning Brisbane (Better Suburbs Initiative)
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.