Key facts about a property
Before you start a project, check if you need planning approval. You need to obtain key facts about your site including site area, zoning, neighbourhood plan and overlays.
You can find this information by using Brisbane City Council's online tools:
- PD Online - property development and application search tool
- Brisbane City Plan 2014
- Brisbane City Plan 2014 interactive mapping.
The zoning of your property guides the type of development that may occur on your site.
Council creates neighbourhood plans with input from residents and business owners. They are legal documents that form part of the City Plan and guide development in local areas. Neighbourhood plans can change the development requirements in local areas. Some may also change the level of assessment for a planning application.
An overlay shows unique characteristics of a property. These include such things as features to protect, valuable resources and planning matters to consider, such as flooding. The level of assessment required for your development application may be affected. This may introduce design requirements to consider for a planning application.
How to use the City Plan 2014 interactive mapping
Access the Brisbane City Plan 2014 interactive mapping tool.
NOTE: Accessing the interactive mapping tool via a mobile or tablet device will direct you to a mobile version of the platform. This version is designed for optimal use on small format devices and is not a full featured version of the interactive mapping tool. For the full featured version, please ensure you access interactive mapping via a desktop or laptop computer.
Listed below are instructions on how to use the full featured version of the interactive mapping tool. The full featured version will make it easier to prepare your development application.
How to find a property
- Select 'Search' from the main menu.
- In the window that appears, fill in your property details (either suburb and address or lot).
- Select the search button.
- The property is displayed on the map with a highlighted border.
- Select 'Map Contents' from the menu to turn on zoning, overlays and other layers.
How to generate a property report
- Find a property using the instructions on this page.
- Select 'Property' from the menu.
- Select the relevant property on the map.
- The summary details are displayed. Select either 'Here' or 'Maximise' to display the full property report in a new printable window.
Brisbane City Plan 2014 (ePlan)
Once you have your property report from interactive mapping, you can read more about development requirements in the City Plan. The City Plan, also known as 'ePlan', is available as an electronic document only. The interactive document helps you quickly and easily find what parts of the planning scheme apply to your proposal. It also includes what information you need to provide in your development application.
Depending on the type of proposed development, location and characteristics of the site, you may need to submit a development application to Council.
For more information about determining whether your proposal would require a development application, phone Council on 3403 8888 to speak with a town planner.
For expert assistance or advice, contact the relevant building or development experts.