Event and festival planning and management for community organisations

Use this page to find out what you need to do to host a successful event or festival for your community organisation with all required approvals. Well-run events can be enjoyable for your members and the community and achieve a great result for your organisation. 

How Council can help you 

For events and festivals on Brisbane City Council leased or licensed sites, contact Council's Festival and Events Liaison Officer (FELO) on 133 BNE (133 263) for advice, regardless of the number of people expected to attend your event. 

The FELO will work with you to define your requirements, possible event spaces and application timeframes. They'll also serve as your primary contact for planning your entertainment event permit application and can assist you to navigate Council’s requirements.

Event planning

Use our events and festivals page to access information on event and festival approvals, guidelines, planning resources, preparation and safety, and notification requirements to the community and stakeholders. 

Event permit

An event permit may be required if your event is open to the public (whether or not you charge an entry fee) and you expect to have 1000 or more people in attendance over the duration of the event. You may also require other approvals.

Use the Event Permit Customer Guidelines (Word - 1.4Mb) to help guide you through the event permit application process.

Event sustainability guidelines

Council has developed event sustainability guidelines to help event organisers incorporate sustainable principles into the planning of their events.

Other event approvals

Use our related event approvals page to find out if you need other approvals from Council and/or Queensland Government for specific activities at your event (e.g. food vendors, serving or selling alcohol, signage, fireworks, road or footpath closures, traffic management, noise management, park booking).

Traffic management at special events

If you are planning a special event that involves a temporary lane or road closure, your organisation may consider using the Queensland Government Department of Transport and Main Roads Special Event Traffic Marshal Scheme. The scheme allows volunteers to conduct limited traffic control activities.

More information

For more advice on holding events and festivals on Council leased or licensed premises, phone Council's Festival and Events Liaison Officer (FELO) on 133 BNE (133 263) regardless of the number of people expected to attend your event. 

Related links

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.