Commercial activity in a park
Brisbane City Council supports a range of commercial activities in parks to activate our city. Commercial activities in parks contribute to the city’s quality of life and community participation to achieve our vision for a vibrant, creative city.
An activity is commercial if it involves the exchange of goods or services for a fee, or promotes a business activity or entity, such as:
- personal training and fitness activities
- mobile food trucks, drink vans and stalls
- animal training and services
- leisure activities, events and tours and
- recreational equipment hire.
When you need consent
Consent from Council is required to operate a commercial activity in a Council park. Under the Public Land and Council Assets Local Law 2014, Council regulates commercial activities to optimise the benefit to residents and visitors and to safeguard public health, safety and amenity of patrons and the community on public land.
It is important your business or organisation has the correct permits and consent to operate lawfully. If you operate a commercial activity in a Council park without Council consent, enforcement action may be taken.
Council aims for commercial activities in parks to meet a minimum of four of the following objectives:
- enhance a visitor’s experience of the park
- depend on or benefit from being located in the park
- represent sustainable use of the park and contribute to existing park values
- complement or significantly differ from an existing activity or service within or adjoining the park
- contribute to the City’s quality of life and prosperity through stimulating the local or regional economy
- encourage community participation and involvement and foster a community spirit
- be consistent with the intended function and level of use the park.
No fee is payable at the time of application.
Completed applications will be assessed by Council, and if approved, an invoice will be issued for the relevant fees.
How to apply
- To complete your application, you will need to upload an aerial photo/s (Word, PDF or JPG file) marked up to indicate the proposed area within the park to be used. You can use Council’s interactive mapping or other online mapping tools to create this plan or mark-ups on the aerial photo can be hand-drawn.
- Complete the Commercial Activity in a Park Application and upload your supporting documents.
Your application will be acknowledged within two working days of Council receiving your application. The application may take up to 10 working days to be processed.
To find out more information or to check your permit requirements, email 133BNE@brisbane.qld.gov.au or phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).