Visiting the Planetarium
The information below will help you plan your visit to the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium. The Planetarium is open Tuesday to Sunday and hosts a variety of shows in the Cosmic Skydome.
See below for:
- opening hours, venue hire and enquiries
- admission cost
- current Cosmic Skydome shows
- getting to the Planetarium
- how to provide feedback.
The Planetarium highly recommends bookings, especially during Queensland school holidays.
Shows are subject to change.
You can enquire about reservations, venue hire, school bookings and general or observatory enquiries, by:
- emailing the booking office
- phoning the booking office on 07 3403 2578.
The following table shows standard opening hours for The Planetarium. You can also find out when the Planetarium is closed, including special closure periods.
The Planetarium is closed:
- on Mondays (except for Queensland school holidays - open 10am-3pm. Booking office phone lines open 9.30am-3pm)
- on most public holidays. These include Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Australia Day, Easter weekend, Anzac Day and Ekka Day
General entry to the Planetarium is free. You need a ticket for Cosmic Skydome shows.
Council honours the Queensland Government Companion Card and Companion Cards from other Australian states and territories. This allows free entry for anyone accompanying a person with disability who requires attendant care support.
Single admission prices:
- adults: $16.40
- children (three-14 years): $10
- concession card holders: $13.40
- authorised companion (Companion Card): free.
Group admission prices:
- family (two adults and two children or one adult and three children): $45 per family
- group of adults (10 or more): $13.90 each*
- group of children (10 or more, 3-14 years): $9.20 each*.
* single payment is required for whole group
- adults: $38
- children (3-14 years): $23.
Three show pass tickets are transferable and valid for three years. Tickets can only be used to admit one individual per show. A booking is required.
Current Cosmic Skydome shows
For the enjoyment of audiences, these programs are not recommended for children under six.
- Capturing the Cosmos
- Cosmic Collisions
- Dark Universe
- Edge of Darkness
- Experience the Aurora
- Passport to the Universe
- Samskara (new show). Watch the Samskara trailer on Youtube.
- Saturday Night 'Live'
- Tales of a Time Traveler. Watch the Tales of a Time Traveler trailer on YouTube
- We Are Aliens!
Shows for children
- Perfect Little Planet. Watch the Perfect Little Planet trailer on YouTube
- The Little Star that Could
The Planetarium is five kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre and sits within the Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha. There is free on-site parking available, including disabled and bus parking.
You can also travel to the Planetarium by bus. From the city, take bus 471 or the Great City Circle bus (598 or 599) from various suburbs. Visit the TransLink website for more information.
You can also ride your bike to the Planetarium. Find out more information about getting to the gardens on a bike.
You can complete the online customer feedback form to provide feedback about your experience at the Planetarium.