Gardens Point Boat Harbour
The Gardens Point Boat Harbour is located near the City Botanic Gardens in the CBD.
Vessel owners use the moorings at their own risk. Council gives no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the adequacy or safety of the mooring, berthing facility or anchorage.
Planning is underway for the Kangaroo Point Green Bridge, which will be located adjacent to the Gardens Point Boat Harbour. The bridge has a proposed navigational clearance height of 12.7 metres, which may affect access to the moorings for taller vessels once construction is underway. Find out more.
Harbour facilities include:
- 31 moorings of various sizes
- oars locker*
- toilet/shower facilities*
*These facilities are accessible using a security key, which vessel owners will receive when their application for consent is approved. A $20 non-refundable deposit is required for the security key.
Please note - these facilities have no disability access and are not equipped with water or power connections. Shore access is only via the boat owner’s tender.
To apply for consent to moor your vessel at this harbour, visit Council's King George Square car park office to lodge an application form (Word - 62kb).
You will need to present the following documentation with your application:
- ship master’s or recreational boat operator’s licence
- photo identification (if not incorporated in the licence above)
- vessel registration certificate (where registration is required by law)
- Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance of at least $10 million AUD, such certificate being issued by the insurer within 28 days of the date of the mooring application.
King George Square car park office is located on Level B1 of the car park at 100 Adelaide Street, Brisbane.
Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 5.30am to midnight, and Saturdays and Sundays from 7.30am to 11pm.
If your application is approved, mooring fees are immediately payable at the King George Square car park office.
The fees for mooring at Gardens Point are currently $70 per week, and must be paid in advance at all times. Mooring fees cannot be paid more than two weeks in advance.
Bookings and availability
Mooring spots cannot be booked at Gardens Point Boat Harbour. A vacant mooring is indicated by no lines tied between piles. If a vessel is temporarily absent from the moorings, it is necessary to reserve its place by tying a rope with centre float(s) between the piles.
The maximum consent period is three months, and the moorings are not to be used to store unattended vessels.
It is the vessel master’s responsibility to select an adequate mooring, including the draft at shallow tide. The maximum size vessel is 50 feet (15.5 metres) long, with a maximum displacement of 20 tonnes.
There are four rows of fore-aft moorings:
- Row A is closest to the shore and has 11 moorings, which range from 18 metre to 25 metre centres.
- Row B has 9 moorings, with all but one being 25 metre centres. Mooring B10 has a 31 metre centre.
- Row C has 8 moorings, the upstream five being 30 metre centres, and the next three downstream moorings being 25 metre centres.
- Row D is nearest to the centre of the Brisbane River, and has three 30 metre wide moorings with steel pylons, suitable for larger craft, up to 20 tonnes displacement, 50 feet in length (15.5 metres).
The provided mooring rings are 25 mm diameter stainless steel. Please ensure that galvanised iron shackles are not attached to the stainless steel, as this could cause corrosion and damage to the mooring rings.
The Brisbane River has an ocean tidal flow of (normally) up to 2 metres every 11.5 hours. The Brisbane River can have a current flow of up to 4 knots.
Please note that mooring fore and aft can be challenging in anything but a slack tide.
For more information about Council’s boat mooring facilities, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.