Newmarket Olympic Swimming Pool upgrade project
As part of our commitment to creating new lifestyle and leisure opportunities through better facilities and venues for all ages and abilities to enjoy, Brisbane City Council is partnering with the lessee to upgrade the 50-metre swimming pool at the Newmarket Olympic Swimming Pool.
|Address||Newmarket Olympic Swimming Pool, 71 Alderson Street, Newmarket|
|Project outcomes||Improved and sustainable pool facilities for all ages and abilities to enjoy|
|Latest update||Start of construction|
About the project
This upgrade is part of Council’s commitment to creating new lifestyle and leisure opportunities and delivering vibrant, liveable communities.
The upgrade project is being delivered by the Miller Family who lease the Newmarket Pool with Council providing financial support of $3.4 million.
The Newmarket Olympic Swimming Pool upgrade project works will replace the existing 50-metre swimming pool and plant, including:
- new eight lane 50-metre tiled pool basin
- new pool concourses
- compliant access ramp
- wet decking on two sides
- ultrafine filtration – the latest in water and chemical efficient technology
- heating with the ability to operate the pool year round
- saltwater chlorinator – primary sanitisation
- dual circulation pump system
- recess in pool floor to support pop up swim wall
- shade over shallow end of pool
- starting blocks, lane ropes and pool blankets.
Minor works to replace the filtration on the existing 25-metre pool and two wading pools will also be completed.
Construction activities are planned to commence on 19 April 2022 and are scheduled to be completed by the end of 2022, weather and site conditions permitting.
Construction will generally take place between 6.30am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday.
During these works, you can expect:
- Noise, dust and other construction impacts:
- Construction noise, dust, and vibration at times – including excavation, saw-cutting, jack hammering, demolition, compaction of fill and pouring of concrete.
- Increased vehicle movements with reversing alarms and flashing lights – due to workplace health and safety requirements, reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
The 50-metre pool will be closed from Tuesday 19 April 2022 for the duration of the construction activities. The whole pool will close to the public for a six-week period in late June / July 2022 for the annual winter shutdown period.
During construction lap swimmers are encouraged to use the following public swimming pools:
- Centenary Pool – 50-metre heated pool
- Chermside Pool – 25m heated pool
- Musgrave Park Swimming Centre – 50-metre heated pool
- Valley Pool – 50-metre heated pool.
No major impacts on footpath, on-street parking and park access are expected. Every effort will be made to minimise disruption wherever possible. Vehicle movement into and out of the site will be managed via an approved traffic management plan.
We thank you for your patience and understanding while the lessee and Council work to deliver an improved and sustainable community asset.
If you would like more information about this project, you can:
- phone the Newmarket Olympic Swimming Pool on 07 3356 8434
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888.