Milton Heritage Trail
Meander through Milton using the Milton Heritage Trail to discover important historical sites and stories including:
- 'Savoir Faire' - Brisbane's first alfresco dining precinct opened in 1988
- Salvation Army Rescue Home - established to provide shelter and support for vulnerable women in the 1880s
- XXXX Brewery - the site of a brewery from as early as the 1870s.
You can download:
- Brisbane Heritage Trails - Meander Through Milton (PDF - 2Mb)
- Brisbane Heritage Trails - Meander Through Milton (Word - 597kb).
Meander Through Milton Heritage Trail map and table
There are 17 points of interest along the Meander Through Milton Heritage Trail. The trail begins at Park Road, touches on McDougall Street and then travels along Coronation Drive to Cribb Street. From Cribb Street, the trail travels along Little Cribb Street, with an optional extension to Chippendall Street. It then continues along Railway Terrace before finishing on Milton Road.
Use the Google map and information boxes to navigate the heritage trail. Alternatively, the heritage trail table includes the point of interest number, name, address and description for each stop along the trail.
View Milton Heritage Trail in a larger map.
|14 Park Road
|This timber building was constructed in 1888. It is a good example of a 19th Century shop and residence in Milton.
|20 Park Road
|‘Savoir Faire’ was Brisbane’s first alfresco dining precinct when it opened in 1988.
|50 McDougall Street
|‘Milton House’ is one of Brisbane’s oldest houses and was built in the 1850s.
|Salvation Army Rescue Home
|Park Road, between Douglas Street and Coronation Drive
|This was the site of the Salvation Army Rescue Home, established to provide shelter and support for vulnerable women in the 1880s.
|John Oxley surveyed this reach of the Brisbane River in 1823 and again in 1824.
|249 Coronation Drive
|Cook Terrace was built between 1888-1889. It is one of Brisbane’s remaining blocks of terrace houses.
|Milton and floods
|Milton has always been susceptible to flooding. In 1893 the area experienced Brisbane’s worst recorded flood event.
|205 Coronation Drive
|This was one of the most fashionable venues in Brisbane when it first opened in the 1960s.
|John Hicks Ltd
|Corner of Coronation Drive and Cribb Street
|Site of the furniture factory built on the corner in 1911.
|Cribb Street terrace houses
|Cribb Street between Coronation Drive and Railway Terrace
|Two sets of terrace houses were built along Cribb Street between 1887-1890. They have since been demolished.
|Milton Sanitary Disposal Depot
|Cribb Street and Little Cribb Street
|The sanitary disposal depot processed the area’s rubbish and sewerage.
|Milton Tramway Workshops
|Between Boomerang Street and Cribb Street
|The tramway workshops were established in 1930 and comprised of workshops, car sheds and administrative offices.
|Industry thrived in Milton and by the 1940s several large factories were established in the suburb including Morrows' Biscuit Factory.
|Lang Park and Christ Church Anglican Church
|9 Chippendall Street
|The area that is now part of Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park) was originally the site of the North Brisbane Burial Ground.
|World War II air raid shelter
|21 Railway Terrace
|This concrete structure was built as an air raid shelter during World War II.
|185 Milton Road
|There has been a brewery on this site from as early as the 1870s.
|233 Milton Road
|This majestic house was built between 1865 and 1868 as the residence of Brisbane’s first Anglican bishop, Edward Tufnell.