Reminisce in Rosalie Heritage Trail
Reminisce in Rosalie by taking a walk along the Rosalie Heritage Trail and discover important historical sites and stories found along the way including:
- Rosalie's grand houses and modest workers' cottages
- public transport in Rosalie during the 1880s
- the former site of Milton Tennis Centre
- Rosalie School of Arts and Commemoration Hall.
The trail is delivered in partnership by Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council.
You can download:
- Reminisce in Rosalie - Brisbane Heritage Trails (PDF - 1.8Mb)
- Reminisce in Rosalie - Brisbane Heritage Trails (Word - 1.7Mb).
Reminisce in Rosalie Heritage Trail map
View Rosalie Heritage Trail in a larger map.
Reminisce in Rosalie Heritage Trail table
|Rosalie and floods
|Rosalie has always been susceptible to flooding. In 1893 the district suffered its worst recorded flood event.
|Rosalie School of Arts and Commemoration Hall
|18 Nash Street
|This building was officially opened in 1928 and was built as a war memorial to those from the district who gave their lives in World War I.
|Tram Shelter No. 6
|Corner Nash Street and Elizabeth Street
|Tram Shelter No. 6 was constructed during the Great Depression as part of a Brisbane City Council works program to create employment.
|The Little Citizens' Free Kindergarten
|57 Elizabeth Street
|Purpose built in 1935 as a kindergarten by the Crèche and Kindergarten Association of Queensland, the graceful timber building continues to be used as a kindergarten.
|Marist Brothers' Monastery
|56 Fernberg Road
|This stately building was built as a monastery for the Marist Brothers and was opened by Archbishop James Duhig in 1929.
|Church of the Sacred Heart
|369 Given Terrace
|This striking brick church was blessed and opened in 1918 and was the third Catholic church building in the Rosalie parish.
|Our Lady Help of Christians' Convent
|327 Given Terrace
|The convent is one of Brisbane's most beautiful and was built for the Sisters of Mercy in 1919.
|23 Fernberg Road
|Lucerne was built around 1862 and is Brisbane's oldest privately owned residence.
|Milton Congregational Church
|2 Haig Road
|This was the site of one of the district's earliest churches, the Milton Congregational Church that was opened in 1887.
|128 Baroona Road
|Gregory Park was named after explorer, Surveyor-General, politician and Rosalie resident, Sir Augustus Charles Gregory. Before the park was created it was a swamp named Red Jacket Swamp.
|Milton Tennis Centre
|Between Haig Road and 315 Milton Road
|Milton Tennis Centre was Queensland's premier international tennis centre and hosted more Davis Cup matches than any other city in Australia.
|Milton State School
|36 Bayswater Street
|The Milton State School was first opened in 1889. During the Great Depression the grand brick classroom building was built as a works program to create employment.
|Milton Volunteer Fire Brigade and Albert Hall
|Corner of Bayswater Street and Baroona Road
|On the corner of Bayswater and Baroona Roads was the Milton Volunteer Fire Brigade Station that was built in 1892. Across the road was the Albert Hall that was constructed around 1904.
|12-22 Agars Street
|The row of modest timber cottages were all built in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
|34 Howard Street
|The large timber house was built between 1879 and 1881. In the late 1880s it became home to Michael Chalk, Rosalie omnibus proprietor.
|50 Howard Street
|This majestic house was built in 1907 and its design is thought to have been attributed to important Brisbane architect, Richard Gailey.
|90 Howard Street
|Baroona is one of Rosalie's oldest houses and was built in 1866.
|Fernberg - Government House
|170 Fernberg Road
|Fernberg was built in 1865. In 1910 the house became Government House.
|233 Milton Road
|This majestic house was built between 1865 and 1868 as the residence of Brisbane's first Anglican bishop, Edward Tufnell.