Eye on Indooroopilly Heritage Trail
The Eye on Indooroopilly Heritage Trail takes you on a journey through a range of sites and events that have shaped Indooroopilly's history, including:
- early European settlement
- construction of the Albert and Walter Taylor Bridges
- war-time activity during World War II
- the historic commercial centre along Station Road.
You can download:
- Brisbane Heritage Trails - Eye on Indooroopilly brochure (PDF - 3Mb)
- Brisbane Heritage Trails - Eye on Indooroopilly brochure (Word - 474kb).
Eye on Indooroopilly Heritage Trail map and table
There are 17 points of interest along the Eye on Indooroopilly Heritage Trail. The trail begins at the Indooroopilly War Memorial in Keating Park, to the Church of the Holy Family and down to Lambert Road. The trail then crosses the rail line and heads up Station Road to end at the Indooroopilly Shopping Centre.
For more information about each point of interest, download the Eye on Indooroopilly Heritage Trail brochure in your preferred format. The brochure map includes additional information such as the location of public transport, public toilets and access for people with limited mobility (by way of gradient ranges). Some sections of this 2.7 kilometre trail are steep and may not be accessible for people with limited mobility.
Use the Google map and information boxes to navigate the heritage trail, or alternatively use the heritage trail table which includes the point of interest number, name, address and description. The start point of the trail (on the map) is marked with a 'person' icon.
View Indooroopilly Heritage Trail in a larger map
|1.||War Memorial - Keating Park||5 Belgrave Road||The War Memorial was unveiled in February 1921 and was originally on the corner of Westminster and Station Roads.|
|2.||Church of the Holy Family||27 Ward Street||This striking church was built between 1961 and 1963 and is one of Australia’s finest examples of Modernist architecture.|
|3.||Church of the Holy Family School||27 Ward Street||Built in 1926, this was Indooroopilly’s first Catholic church and school.|
|4.||Warranoke||47 Fairley Street||Once a grand 1880s residence, Warranoke became the first Brigidine convent in Brisbane in the early 1920s.|
|5.||St Andrew's Church Hall||72 Lambert Road||This is one of Indooroopilly’s most beautiful buildings and was built as an Anglican church hall in the 1880s.|
|6.||Henry Hunter's residence||188 Clarence Road||When this house was built in 1888 for successful architect, Henry Hunter, the property stretched all the way to Lambert Road.|
|7.||Tighnabruaich||203 Clarence Road||The finely decorated, timber villa is one of Brisbane’s loveliest houses from the 1880s.|
|8.||Witton Barracks||9 Lambert Road||During World War II, these barracks played a vital role in military intelligence.|
|9.||Albert Bridge||This is the second Albert Bridge and was built after the 1893 flood destroyed the first one.|
|10.||Cross-river ferry||From as early as the 1870s, passengers, horses, carriages and goods were transported between Chelmer and Indooroopilly by ferry.|
|11.||Walter Taylor Bridge||First called the Indooroopilly Bridge, it was designed and built by Walter Taylor and completed in 1936.|
|12.||The Stamford Hotel||125 Conan Street||The Indooroopilly Hotel was first known as the Stamford Hotel and was built in 1884.|
|13.||Keating House||10 Westminister Road||Keating House was built in the 1890s and is one of Indooroopilly’s most treasured and well-recognised historic houses.|
|14.||Stamford Hall||15 Station Street||On the corner of Westminster and Station Roads, once stood the centre for Indooroopilly residents’ social life, the Stamford Hall, that was built in 1899.|
|15.||Station Road||Before Indooroopilly Shopping Centre was built, this stretch of Station Road was the suburb’s commercial centre.|
|16.||Indooroopilly Uniting Church||80 Station Road||This beautiful brick church was built in 1917 as the Anzac Memorial Methodist Church.|
|17.||Indooroopilly Shopping Centre||93 Station Road||When first opened in 1970, Indooroopilly Shoppingtown, as it was first called, was proclaimed to be the largest in the Southern Hemisphere at the time.|