Parking meter guide
Parking meters record your car registration details as reference of your payment. From 15 November 2021 should you require a receipt, you will have the option to receive an electronic receipt at the machine.
If you wish to receive a parking receipt, follow the instructions on the meter to download or receive an emailed copy of your receipt which you can print or save electronically for your records. You do not need to display a parking receipt on your vehicle. Paper receipts will not be available from the parking meter.
Step-by-step guide for using a parking meter
- Check the parking zone
Once you've parked your vehicle in a vacant marked parking bay, check the nearest parking sign to confirm the times you can park in the location. Take note of the four-digit zone number. At some locations, parking is not available (e.g. peak hour parking restrictions such as a clearway, no stopping zone, or bus zone). Make sure you read the signs and understand where parking is permitted.
- Find a meter
Look for a parking meter nearby with a blue 'pay here' sign. Check the zone number on the meter matches the zone number on the parking signs.
- Read the screen
On the meter's screen, check the hours you can park, maximum time limit, tariff and maximum charge. If the screen shows 'closed', the meter will not accept payments. Please check parking signs for metered times or other restrictions.
- Enter your registration number
Use the keypad to enter your vehicle registration number. Don't enter any spaces between the characters (e.g. ABC123). You can use the backspace arrow on the keyboard if you make a mistake. Check your registration is entered correctly, then press the green 'ok' button. If you need to correct any errors or start the transaction again, press the red 'cancel' button and restart the process.
- 15 minute free parking
15 minute free parking is available in over 7500 car parking spaces across Brisbane, excluding the Brisbane Central Business District. If you are intending to park for less than 15 minutes, press the 'free under 15 minutes' button. If you wish to park for longer than 15 minutes, press the 'over 15 mins' button.
- Confirm 15 minute time period
Press the 'ok' button to confirm that you wish to park for only 15 minutes. You are not required to complete this step if you've selected the 'over 15 mins' button.
If you selected the 'over 15 mins' button, a new screen will show the message Coin Payment No Longer Accepted. Pay for your parking via credit card (excluding Diners Club and American Express cards) or mobile payment only.
- Select time
Select the amount of time you would like to pay for. To add time, press the arrow button on the right. To remove time, press the arrow button on the left. When paying by credit card, the minimum value charged is 50 cents. Press the 'ok button to continue. Long term meters have an all-day flat fee. Check the meter display for rates.
- Confirm details
A new screen will appear showing your registration number and the time your parking expires. You must press 'ok' to proceed with the transaction. The transaction is only complete after your card transaction is successful.
- Insert or tap card
With your credit card facing upwards and the electronic strip on the left, insert your card fully. You must leave the card in the reader to complete payment. Follow screen instructions and remove the card when instructed. All of Brisbane's meters are also 'Tap N Go' enabled. If you wish to use this facility, tap and hold your card against the card reader on the front of the meter to complete the transaction. If the card reader is successful, then the meter will proceed to receipt (optional).
- Accessing a receipt (optional)
If you wish to receive a receipt for your records, press the 'electronic' button and scan the QR code on the meter or access the www.my-receipt.com website and use the code displayed on the parking meter. You can then download a receipt or receive an emailed receipt. You don’t need to display a receipt for parking in your car. You can also set up an ‘account’ for your parking and by entering your email address, then download the eReceipt or have the receipt sent to the email address provided. Once the ‘account’ is set up, future receipts will be sent to your registered email address.
After you have parked your vehicle at a parking meter:
- Open the CellOPark Australia app.
- Select your vehicle registration from the drop down menu at the bottom of the page.
- To start your session you can either:
- select Brisbane as your location from the drop down menu
- enter the correct zone number (look for the seven digit number printed on the side of the nearest parking meter)
- select start, or scan the QR code locate on the side of the parking meter (directly underneath the seven digit zone number) to start your session automatically. The countdown timer will begin and display the maximum remaining time for your parking session (parking officers can see your valid parking session when they check your number plate).
- To stop your session:
- select stop in the app or website, or
- phone CellOPark. You must use the mobile number linked to the account. Your account is charged only for the time you use.
- CellOPark automatically emails an invoice to the email account on file. You can always view and download your invoices by logging into your online account (at www.cellopark.com.au) and going to the 'Billing history' page and selecting the relevant month (or 'view invoice' to download the invoice for the last billing cycle).
- Green 'ok' button
If the 'ok' button is not pressed to proceed within 20 seconds, this will cancel the transaction. Your card will not be debited. The only way a card can be debited is if the user accepts the transaction by pressing the 'ok' button.
- Blue '?' (help) button
By pressing the '?' button, you will be provided with information on mobile phone payments and service centre details for faults (e.g. contact centre phone number and meter identification).
- Red cancel button
Press the red 'cancel' button to cancel the transaction. Re-enter details if required.
- If your payment is not successful, try again. There could be a temporary error.
- Payment is checked by a database via a mobile device, not by the receipt of payment.