Types of parking permits

Brisbane City Council offers a range of parking permits to assist residents and their visitors in accessing adequate on-street parking. The permits Council offers include:

Eligible residents can apply for a resident parking permit, visitor permits, short-term permits and company car permits. Find out:

Resident parking permits

Resident parking permits are available for eligible residents who live in a Regulated Parking Permit Scheme Area. Council's digital permit system links vehicle registrations to permits. Residents are not required to display a permit in their vehicle.

Visitor permits

Visitor permits are available to residents who live in a Regulated Parking Permit Scheme Area for use by their visitors. These permits are interchangeable between visitors. For residents who live in Taringa, New Farm/Teneriffe Hill, and West End and Highgate Hill Resident Parking Permit Areas, one visitor permit per household is available. For residents of all other areas, two visitor permits per household are available. 

Council's digital permit system allows you to apply for either a:

  • digital visitor permit that is linked to the visitor's vehicle registration number and does not need to be displayed; or
  • printed visitor permit that must be displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle using the permit.

For digital visitor permits, you can add and update the vehicle registration plate details of your visitor. To update a visitor permit, log into your online account or phone 1300 322 377 on Monday-Friday from 7am-7pm. Details are changed instantly, and the visitor permit immediately activated.

Short-term permits

Residents who currently hold a resident parking permit and are holding a private event or function, or undertaking minor repair works, at a residence within a Regulated Parking Permit Scheme Area can apply for a digital short-term permit to be issued to guests. Short-term permits for events or repair work are only valid for up to 48 hours and can include up to 10 vehicles per permit. Residents can only apply for two short-term permits each year. Short-term permits cannot be issued for the central business district. 

Company car permits 

A permit may be issued to a resident who uses and parks their company vehicle at their residential address. If you live in a Regulated Parking Permit Scheme Area and have a company car, you may be eligible for a resident permit for your company car.

Commercial vehicle permits 

If you use a commercial loading zone, you may need a commercial vehicle parking permit. Find out more about commercial vehicle parking and permits

Car-share company permits

Car-share permits are available to eligible car-share operators (registered businesses or corporations) that operate a short-term car-share scheme. The car-share activity must be a commercial operation that makes vehicles available to customers through an accessible and secure booking system. A car-share permit may be issued to the registered vehicle that is owned by the business or corporation and is available for short-term hire to its members or customers.

For more information about car-share permits, download the Car-Share Permits Information Guide (Word - 713kb).

More information 

For more information about parking permits and permit conditions, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.  

Last updated:29 July 2019
Topics: parking