Ferry terminal upgrades
Brisbane City Council is committed to providing safe, efficient and accessible transport networks across the city. As part of this commitment, Council’s ferry terminal upgrades program aims to ensure all future upgrades and delivery of new public transport assets, where possible, meet the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA), Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 (DSAPT) and the Disability Standards 2010 (Premises Standards).
These documents establish minimum accessibility requirements to be met by providers and operators of public transport conveyances, infrastructure and premises. They relate to elements such as ramps, access paths, manoeuvring areas, handrails and boarding devices.
Council’s investment since 2011 has already improved accessibility, connectivity and flood resilience of the River City’s world class ferry terminal network. Some of the milestones reached in this time include:
- delivering terminal upgrades at:
- Guyatt Park
- Howard Smith Wharves
- South Bank - current South Bank 1 and 2 ferry terminals
- Bretts Wharf - completed in 2015
- Bulimba - completed in 2014
- Hawthorne - completed in 2015
- New Farm Park - completed in 2018
- South Bank 3 - completed in 2019
- Teneriffe - completed in 2012
- West End - completed in 2011.
- delivery of seven ferry terminals following the January 2011 floods under the joint Australian Government-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) program including:
- Holman Street, Kangaroo Point - completed in 2015
- Maritime Museum (formerly known as River Plaza), South Brisbane - completed in 2015
- North Quay, CBD - completed in 2015
- QUT Gardens Point, CBD - completed in 2015
- Regatta, Toowong - completed in 2015
- Sydney Street, New Farm - completed in 2015
- UQ (The University of Queensland), St Lucia - completed in 2015.
- delivering new terminals at:
- Northshore Hamilton - completed in 2011
- Milton, Toowong - completed in 2015.
View all locations of existing CityCat and ferry terminal locations.
If you would like to find out more about Council's ferry terminal upgrade program:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team
- write to:
Transport Planning and Programs team
Transport Planning and Operations
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.