Indooroopilly Riverwalk - Indooroopilly
Brisbane City Council is planning to deliver new bikeway infrastructure as part of the Indooroopilly Riverwalk project.
|Address||Witton Road to Radnor Street, Indooroopilly|
|Project outcome||Improve safety and connectivity for cyclists and pedestrians|
|Latest news||Stages 1 and 2 will be delivered at the same time from early 2020 to mid-2021|
About the project
The Indooroopilly Riverwalk project will provide a safer connection for cyclists and pedestrians with approximately 790 metres of new infrastructure between Witton Road (near Twigg Street) to Witton Barracks. The riverwalk will also provide connections to Radnor Street and Riverview Terrace.
This project will create a high quality, connected and accessible facility for residents and visitors of Brisbane's western suburbs. It will also form part of a future bikeway corridor between the Western Freeway Bikeway and the University of Queensland (UQ).
The project was previously communicated as the Indooroopilly Bikeway (Radnor Street): Stage 1 project and was originally planned to be delivered in two stages, with Stage 1 to be delivered in 2019 and Stage 2 to be delivered at a later date, subject to funding.
In mid-2018, Council undertook a series of public consultation activities and after considering community feedback, has decided to merge the two stages and deliver them as the Indooroopilly Riverwalk.
The project will include:
- constructing 790 metres of new pathways including a 600-metre-long, five-metre-wide separated riverwalk for pedestrians and cyclists
- a shared connection to Foxton Street from the riverwalk
- a design that is flood resilient
- upgrading the Foxton Street and Radnor Street intersection to create a safer environment for all road users
- a dedicated pedestrian connection to Riverview Terrace
- a viewing platform on the riverwalk overlooking the Brisbane River
- lighting along the length of the riverwalk
- landscaping and wayfinding signage.
The project will benefit the community by:
- providing a high quality, connected and accessible facility for the community
- improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists with a separated off-road facility and new pathway connections
- promoting an active and healthy lifestyle by encouraging more walking and cycling
- providing a critical part of a future bikeway corridor between the Western Freeway Bikeway and UQ.
Council is finalising the design over the coming months and will provide an update as more information is available. Construction is anticipated to start from early 2020.
If you would like to provide comments to find out more about the Indooroopilly Riverwalk project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Indooroopilly Riverwalk project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.