Real-time bikeway counters
Brisbane City Council is installing real-time bikeway counters on busy cycle routes and shared pathways around the city. The devices track the number of people riding bikes, and in some cases people walking, via infrared sensors and an inductive loop in the bikeway or footpath. The counts are displayed on bikeways via electronic display boards and signs.
Brisbane is part of a global community with these installations, with cities across the world having adopted a similar approach. View bike counts from around the world.
- Track usage of the bikeways over time
- Demonstrate the bikeway network’s role and function in the transport network
- Display to bike riders and pedestrians just how much their contribution counts
- Data collected will assist Council in its analysis to inform future planning. All data collected will be published on Council’s open data website for public access
Council will focus on high volume bikeways for installation of display counters. Counters without displays have already been installed on many of our popular suburban bikeways.
Real-time bikeway counters have been installed in the following locations:
- Bicentennial Bikeway, Milton (bike and pedestrian counter)
- Go Between Bridge, southern side (bike counter)
- Lores Bonney Riverwalk, Hamilton (bike and pedestrian counter)
- Woolloongabba Bikeway, Stanley Street (bike and pedestrian counter)
- the land bridge on the North Brisbane Bikeway, Spring Hill (bike and pedestrian counter)
- Kangaroo Point Bikeway (bike, car and pedestrian counter).
A counter will be installed at the following locations in 2020:
- Woolloongabba Bikeway, Annerley Road (bike counter)
- Tank Street, CBD (bike counter)
- Wynnum Road Bikeway, East Brisbane (bike counter).
If you would like to provide feedback, ask questions, or find out more about the real-time bikeway counters, you can:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team
- write to:
Real-time bike counters
Transport Planning and Operations
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001