Breakfast Creek Green Bridge construction
Brisbane City Council has appointed Georgiou Brady Joint Venture to construct the Breakfast Creek Green Bridge.
Georgiou Brady Joint Venture is a Brisbane-based civil contractor comprising Georgiou Group Pty Ltd (Georgiou) and Brady Marine & Civil Pty Ltd (Brady Marine) with more than 70 years combined experience in delivering projects in Brisbane and the surrounding region.
The joint venture has a proven track record of delivering key award-winning infrastructure projects on behalf of Council including:
- Indooroopilly Riverwalk
- City Botanic Gardens Riverwalk
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade
- Telegraph Road corridor upgrade - stage 2.
The appointed contractor is committed to sourcing and buying more than 90% of available goods and services from the local market including steel, concrete, balustrading, piling and landscaping.
Construction activities are now underway for the Breakfast Creek Green Bridge, with the project expected to be completed in early 2024.
Council will work with Georgiou Brady Joint Venture to minimise construction impacts on the local community, where possible. While many construction activities will be undertaken from the river, work sites will be established at:
- Ross Street Park, Ross Street, Newstead
- the north west corner of Newstead Park, Breakfast Creek Road, Newstead
- Cameron Rocks Reserve, Kingsford Smith Drive, Hamilton.
Site establishment activities and initial works began mid-June 2022, including:
- installing fencing to safely delineate the site compounds
- delivery of worker facilities, machinery and equipment
- changes to pedestrian and cycle paths at Cameron Rocks Reserve and Newstead Park
- pedestrian safety improvements at Durong Street in Newstead
- works to realign Breakfast Creek Road to provide site access and new on road cycle lanes
- converting Newstead Avenue and Newstead Terrace (to Halford Street) to one way vehicle traffic
- relocation of the Newstead Park inbound bus stop and relocation and amalgamation of the Newstead Park outbound bus stop.
Major works, including piling and construction of the Lores Bonney Riverwalk extension, will commence in August 2022, with the Breakfast Creek Green Bridge expected to open to the public in early 2024.
Construction activities will generally be undertaken between 7am and 6pm Monday to Friday with some works anticipated to occur on Saturdays between 8am and 1pm.
Out-of-hours works may be required where lane closures are required to undertake works safely and maintain traffic flows, however advance notification will be provided for any planned out-of-hours works.
Download a copy of the Breakfast Creek Green Bridge construction map (Word - 726kb).
Traffic and bus stop changes
Download a copy of the Breakfast Creek Green Bridge - Newstead Avenue and Terrace changes map (Word - 903kb)
Mid 2022 to mid 2023
Piling activities, ongoing connection works, construction of bridge arch and riverwalk extension
Mid to late 2023
Newstead Park landing works, final fit out of bridge, riverwalk and ongoing connection
Late 2023 - early 2024
Construction expected to be completed
Georgiou Brady Joint Venture will establish a marine construction zone to provide a safe working environment for construction of the bridge. From August 2022, marine barges will facilitate construction activities in the Brisbane River and Breakfast Creek.
During construction, Breakfast Creek will remain open for vessel access with an eight-metre wide navigational channel maintained, however some short-term closures may be required.
Out-of-hours works may be required due to tide levels on Breakfast Creek and the Brisbane River, and ambient temperature requirements for concrete pours and for works requiring lane closures on surrounding roads.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the Breakfast Creek Green Bridge, you can: