Traffic Response Unit
They work closely with Queensland Police, emergency services and the Brisbane Metropolitan Transport Management Centre (BMTMC).
Traffic response officers are trained in incident management and can attend a range of safety and congestion related incidents. They can also provide basic on-road mechanical assistance to broken down motorists.
These services are a joint initiative of Brisbane City Council and Department of Transport and Main Roads. The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ) delivers the service.
The traffic response units:
- respond to hazardous incidents in and around Brisbane
- implement traffic diversion plans for planned or unplanned incidents or events
- ensure the area around incidents is safe
- minimise the risk of a secondary incident
- patrol designated routes to proactively manage traffic incidents
- ensure safe removal of disabled vehicles from major roads
- provide fuel, water and minor mechanical repairs to motorists whose cars have broken down and are blocking traffic
- remove dangerous obstacles, such as pieces of building materials and lost cargo, from roadways
- monitor activities that are impacting on traffic flow, including road works and construction
- provide real-time traffic intelligence and surveillance.
Traffic response unit vehicles
There are two types of vehicles used. These vehicles are dual cab 4WD utilities (TRU) and dual cab trucks (TRU Max). Both vehicles:
- are fitted with rotating lights, arrow board and an electronic variable message sign to direct motorists at traffic incidents
- have towing and shunting systems (shunting vehicles is a fast, safe way to reduce traffic hazards and promptly restore traffic flow)
- are capable of shunting disabled vehicles to safety from potentially dangerous locations to a nearby safe zone (in the case of TRU Max this includes vehicles weighing up to 16 tonnes)
- can take four passengers
- have carrying capacity for collecting debris and lost loads
- can carry equipment to deal with emergencies, minor repairs and road closures safely, efficiently and with minimal risk of damage. Items include:
- unleaded petrol, diesel, engine oil, brake fluid and water
- first aid kit
- fire extinguisher
- tool kit and vehicle jack
- traffic cones and road closure signs.