Council Annual Plan and Budget 2019-20
Use this page to find out about the 2019-20 Brisbane City Council Budget, including key areas of expenditure.
Every day, Brisbane City Council works with residents and communities to make the Brisbane of tomorrow even better than the Brisbane of today.
By building five new green bridges, we’re getting more cars off the road and giving you more choice when it comes to travel.
We’re turning Victoria Park Golf Course into a new park, giving you more to see and do in a clean and green Brisbane.
We’re planting more trees in suburban parks, creating tree-lined boulevards and providing households with a free green waste bin.
While free off-peak travel means more opportunities for older residents to move around the city and connect with family and friends.
We’re creating a city of neighbourhoods by bringing new life to suburban retail precincts while backing small business with more support and lower fees.
And we’re making it easier to buy your first home with a one-year 50 per cent rates discount for first home buyers, while keeping minimum rates the lowest in the region.
Find out how we’re making the Brisbane of tomorrow even better than the Brisbane of today.
You can also watch this video on Council's YouTube channel.
The key areas of the $3.15 billion budget include:
$1.6 billion to get you home quicker and safer:
- $134.2 million to subsidise public transport across the city
- $125.3 million to deliver Brisbane Metro
- $32.8 million towards purchase of 60 new buses
- $27.2 million on continued investment into better bikeways
- $26.8 million to continue DDA compliant bus stops and ferry terminals
- $24.8 million to complete the Murphy Road and Ellison Road roundabout
- $24.6 million on the Wynnum Road upgrade projects
- $21.2 million for suburban intersection improvements
- $6.1 million on new green bridges
- $3.1 million for free off-peak travel for seniors
- $1.6 million for Move Safe Brisbane.
$1 billion to grow your Brisbane lifestyle:
- $72.5 million investment in Council libraries
- $26.7 million on new iconic and community parks for Brisbane
- $22.8 million on tree planting across the city
- $20 million of CBIC dividend towards a Green Future Fund
- $20.1 million for new sports parks
- $15.4 million on acquiring bushland to increase Brisbane’s natural habitat to 40%
- $9.9 million to deliver aqua parks and refurbished pools
- $8.6 million to support festivals and events
- $1 million to kick off the Victoria Park Vision
- $386 thousand for Koala Research
- $221 thousand for an outdoor cinema in the suburbs
- $497 thousand for a midnight trial at Brisbane square library.
$466.6 million to plan for Brisbane’s future:
- $14.2 million to deliver village precinct projects
- $2 million reduction in fees and charges for small businesses
- $1.7 million to continue the Business Hotline
- $550 thousand for a suburban renewal taskforce
- $284 thousand in small business liaison officer support
- $165 thousand in supporting suburban small businesses
- $55 thousand in supporting start-ups in the suburbs.
Download the Lord Mayor's Budget speech:
Download the Annual Plan and Budget documents:
- Annual Plan and Budget full document 2019-20 (Word - 11.5Mb)
- Annual Plan and Budget summary document 2019-20 (Word - 94kb)
- Annual Plan and Budget summary document 2019-20 (PDF - 24.5Mb).
Sections of the Budget documents
- Table of Contents (Word - 113kb)
- Document Overview (Word - 123kb)
- Budget Overview and Financial Statements (Word - 169kb)
- Transport for Brisbane (Word - 143kb)
- Infrastructure for Brisbane (Word - 145kb)
- Clean, Green and Sustainable City (Word - 199kb)
- Future Brisbane (Word - 139kb)
- Lifestyle and Community Services (Word - 178kb)
- Customer Service (Word - 135kb)
- Economic Development (Word 142kb)
- City Governance (Word - 161kb)
- Appendix of Schedules (Word - 160kb)
- Businesses and Council Providers (Word - 159kb)
- Revenue Policy (Word - 111kb)
- Revenue Statement (Word - 117kb)
- Resolution of Rates and Charges (Word - 10.9Mb)
- Glossary (Word - 114kb)
- Index of Outcomes (Word - 109kb).
Download the Schedule of Fees and Charges documents:
- Schedule of Fees and Charges 2019-20 (Word - 4.8Mb)
- Schedule of Fees and Charges - Appendix B 2019-20 (Word - 1.3Mb)
- Schedule of Fees and Charges - Appendix C 2019-20 (Word - 1.3Mb)
- Schedule of Fees and Charges - Appendix D 2019-20 (Word - 1.4Mb)
- Register of Cost Recovery Fees 2019-20 (Word - 1.6Mb).
Previous budget 2018-19
Find information in the previous budget.