Art decals for vacant shopfronts
If you are a property owner or agent with a vacant shop for lease, you may be interested in Brisbane City Council’s Vibrantly Vacant partial decal program. The goal of this initiative is to attract new tenants to our shopping precincts and to draw attention to a vacant shopfront while improving the streetscape of the area through a temporary display/installation of themed adhesive illustrations.
Vibrantly Vacant is a citywide program where property owners/agents of vacant shopfronts seeking a tenant can apply to have themed decals installed on the front windows of the premises, at no cost and without needing access into the tenancy.
Vibrantly Vacant art decal themes
There are seven art decal themes to choose from, which have each been designed by Brisbane artist Ingrid Bartkowiak.
Through these themes, property owners/agents can choose whether they want to highlight the potential of the vacant shopfront as a:
- plant store
- food business
- beauty salon
The Vibrantly Vacant decals:
- can be placed around existing ‘for lease’ signage
- maintain visibility to the interior of the premises, so prospective tenants can see into the space to understand its potential
- ignite thinking about possible uses for the tenancy
- reduce the likelihood of graffiti or vandalism
- are installed by Council’s supplier at no cost and without requiring access inside the premises.
To be eligible, the shopfront must be:
- vacant for a minimum of 6 weeks
- advertised for lease
- suitable for displaying decals (i.e. with glass display windows or doors).
- in the Brisbane Local Government Area
- a ground level, street facing premises where customers can enter directly off the street or outdoor pedestrian mall (i.e. not part of a shopping centre complex/indoor shopping mall).
How it works
- Property owners/agents select their preferred art decal theme.
- Council will provide a short form agreement for signature.
- Council’s decal supplier will install the decals.
- Property owners/agents advise Council when the shop is leased.
- Council’s decal supplier will remove the decals.
How to apply
Complete the online form to apply for this program. In completing the form you will need to:
- select your preferred decal theme
- attach a photo of the shopfront.
For more information about the Vibrantly Vacant partial decal program, you can:
- email the Economic Development team
- phone Council’s Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).