Student Environmental Leadership Network
The Brisbane City Council's Student Environmental Leadership Network (SELN) is a unique learning and leadership program that directly engages and supports schools to be cleaner and greener.
Through a project-based, active learning model students are empowered to create positive environmental change in their school and community. Student representatives attend five Council facilitated meetings throughout the year that equip them with lifelong skills in project management, communication and leadership.
Nominations are now open
Fill in the online form to nominate your school for the 2020 SELN program.
Nominations close on Monday 3 February 2020.
Teacher networking and program brief session
Council will hold a networking and program brief session for all SELN support teachers from participating schools on Monday 17 February 2020.
This is an opportunity for Brisbane schools to share ideas and information on their environmental initiatives and further understand the SELN program. Please note, only registered schools will receive an email invite. If your school is interested in participating in this year’s program, apply via the above link.
SELN 2020 program
Meeting dates for SELN 2020:
|Meeting 1||Thursday 27 February 2020|
|Meeting 2||Thursday 26 March 2020|
|Meeting 3||Thursday 21 May 2020|
|Meeting 4||Thursday 6 August 2020|
|Graduation and Showcase||Thursday 29 October 2020|
*Note that dates are subject to change.
In 2019, our SELN cohort:
- designed, project managed and implemented over forty environmental projects
- established three new school environment groups
- greened Brisbane’s CBD by participating in a 104 Or More clean up
- volunteered at Council supported community events, including Brisbane’ largest sustainability festival, Green Heart Fair
- developed a deeper understanding of our city by participating in invitation only events such as the 100+ Club Morning Tea
- inspired the next generation of environmental leaders.
SELN 2019 photo gallery
View the SELN 2019 program images in the following slideshow. Alternatively, you can view the images in Council’s Flickr account.
To find out more about the SELN program, email the Green Heart Schools team.