Norman Creek 2012-2031 Project
Brisbane City Council's Norman Creek 2012-2031 project aims to return the Norman Creek catchment to a more natural state. It also aims to revitalise it to be an environmental and recreational asset.
This project covers an entire catchment of almost 30 square kilometres. It is the first whole of catchment urban water resources management project in Australia. It will draw together all existing plans, ideas and rehabilitation activities to create a ‘big picture’ guide for the future of the catchment.
The project goals focus on:
- improvements to the health of the waterways and ecosystems
- sport and recreation opportunities
- living with Brisbane’s climate - flood and drought
- strengthening community connections (physical and social) within the catchment.
Council's vision for the Norman Creek catchment is to create a place with:
- bikeways and footpaths connected to waterways
- accessible boardwalks and viewing platforms
- improved park and recreation spaces alongside creeks and healthy waterways
- shady sub-tropical habitats
- homes, buildings and neighbourhoods designed with water in mind and are resilient during times of drought and flood.
Norman Creek 2012-2031 will work towards creating a water smart community engaged in water issues.
The Norman Creek 2012-2031 Master Plan outlines key initiatives aimed at rejuvenating the Norman Creek catchment. It guides long-term investment and community actions by outlining what is possible and where to focus our efforts in one of Brisbane's most urbanised catchments. The Master Plan outlines the 20-year project designed to achieve multiple outcomes for the city. These include:
- strengthening Brisbane's economy
- improving access and inclusion for all residents, and
- making the city cleaner and greener.
Find out more about the project's key milestones and when you can get involved.
For more information:
- email the project team
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- write to:
Norman Creek 2012-2031 Project team
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.
View the Norman Creek catchment area in a larger map.