Savages Road culvert upgrade - Brookfield
We are undertaking works to upgrade stormwater culverts along Savages Road in Brookfield, to ensure the water passageway continues to effectively operate for the area.
Upgrading this culvert will improve strength, stability and ensure our drainage network is more resilient in the face of severe weather events.
|Savages Road, Brookfield
|Improved and upgraded infrastructure
About the project
The Savages Road culvert system, which comprises of 24 culverts, was damaged during the 2022 severe weather event. One culvert needs to be replaced for community safety.
We completed temporary repairs in May 2022 to ensure water continues to drain through this location while we prepared a design for the new culvert.
We know this is an important connection for Brookfield and local residents and have designed an upgraded culvert with a stronger, more stable structure that focuses on flood resilience.
We value your cooperation while we undertake these important works and are committed to keeping you updated as the project progresses.
The new culvert will be placed on the creek alignment and will match in with existing road levels.
The culvert replacement works are outlined below.
- Removal of the existing damaged culvert.
- Installation of a new culvert, including two drainage headwalls, which will also provide a wider localised road alignment to increase safety for all road users using the culvert crossing.
- Protection of the creek embankments from future erosion and scouring with rock treatments.
- Landscaping and offset planting at the completion of the construction works.
The new culvert will be constructed in two stages to allow Savages Road to remain open during the works.
For more details about the design, download the project plan:
- Savages Road, Brookfield culvert upgrade project plan (PDF - 2.41MB)
- Savages Road, Brookfield culvert upgrade project plan (Word- 2.51MB)
Stage 1 of construction complete
Stage 1 of works commenced on Monday 6 November 2023 and this package of work was completed in late 2023.
Stage 2 of construction underway
Stage 2 of this project commenced on Monday 8 January 2024. Works will be undertaken Monday to Saturday, from 7am to 5pm. This stage is expected to be complete in mid-April 2024, weather and site conditions permitting.
- minor delays when travelling along Savages Road
- a narrower lane width of 3 metres at the culvert while works are underway
- temporary traffic lights erected either side of the culvert to manage traffic flow
- increased noise, dust, vibrations and reversing beepers during works.
To facilitate our works, three trees on the north-west corner of the culvert will need to be removed.
Four trees on the northern side of Savages Road will also be pruned, with all works undertaken in consultation with a qualified arborist.
We will replant one tree nearby the culvert to offset this removal.
For more information
If you would like to find out more about the Savages Road culvert upgrade project, you can:
- call the project information line on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- call Council on 07 3403 8888 (24 hours a day, seven days a week)
- use the online contact form to register for future project updates
- email the project team.