Brisbane Portrait Prize
Brisbane Portrait Prize is a contemporary portraiture competition showcasing artists and the unique character of our city.
To be eligible, both the artist and the sitter must have a connection to Brisbane.
Key dates for 2020 include:
- 23 February - Entries open
- 16 August - Entries close
- 20 September - Finalists announced
- 6 October - Winners announced.
- Lord Mayor’s Prize of $50,000
- Digital Prize of $10,000 supported by Accenture
- The Courier Mail People’s Choice Award of $7500
- Performing Arts and Music Award $7500 supported by the Lister Family Foundation
- Sylvia Jones Prize for Women Artists of $5000 supported by the Clem Jones Foundation
- Packers’ Prize of $5000 supported by Howard Smith Wharves
- Support for Emerging Artists of 2 x $1000 vouchers supported by Oxlades.
An exhibition for the finalists will be held at Brisbane Powerhouse from 30 September-1 November 2020.
Featuring 80-100 works, the exhibition is a chance to immerse yourself in the incredible talent Brisbane has to offer. Guided tours will also be available throughout October.
In 2020, a Salon des Refusés will be held at the Royal Queensland Art Society Petrie Terrace Gallery, providing more opportunity for artists to be exhibited, and more chance for the public to see the portraits.
To find out more about the competition and to read the terms and conditions visit the Brisbane Portrait Prize website.
To find out more about Council’s commitment to creative sector, visit Creative Brisbane.
View the 2019 Brisbane Portrait Prize winners artworks. You can also view these images on Council's Flickr account.