Flooding in Brisbane - a guide for residents
As flooding in Brisbane is natural and part of our environment, we need to be prepared for flooding and the impact it can have on our homes and families.
While Brisbane City Council is working hard to reduce the impact of flooding, there are simple things residents can do to protect themselves, their homes and families.
Residents flood guide
This guide will help you to prepare for flooding and to minimise the impact of flooding to your property.
- Flooding in Brisbane - A guide for residents (PDF - 2.09MB)
- Flooding in Brisbane - A guide for residents (Word - 162kb)
You can also download:
- Flooding in Brisbane - An explanation of technical flood terms (PDF - 1.6Mb)
- Flooding in Brisbane - An explanation of technical flood terms (Word - 53kb)
Watch Council's video to understand the likelihood of flooding on your home, how to prepare for an emergency and minimise the impact of flooding on your home or property.
You can also watch this video and other related videos on Council's YouTube channel.
Council has a range of free tools and information to help residents understand the possibility of flooding on or near their property and how to be prepared. This includes:
- Flood Awareness Maps - use the Flood Awareness Maps to understand the likelihood of flooding on your home or property
- FloodWise Property Report – Download a FloodWise Property Report for flood information relating to building or renovating your home
- Severe Weather Early Warning Alert Service – Sign up to receive free alert notices of severe thunderstorms, destructive winds and potential flooding
- Responding to a flood threat - Understand how to respond to a flood, including working with sandbags.
If you require any further information, you can contact Council.
Brisbane City Council excludes all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this flood preparedness guide, titled Flooding in Brisbane - A guide for residents, and any information or material cited in it. The information in this guide is general information provided to help you decide if you need professional advice relevant to your particular situation.