Some types of advertising devices in certain areas require a full assessment application. There are 2 types of full assessment applications: standard assessment and generally inappropriate assessment. The Advertising Devices Design and Assessment Rule categorises advertising devices as either standard assessment or as generally inappropriate assessment.
Before applying for an advertising device approval you will need to find out the Facts about the proposed advertising device location to identify the City Environment your property is in and any other constraints.
Applications for multiple devices
Approval for multiple devices on one property for a single permit holder may be sought on one application.
Approval for multiple devices on multiple properties must be sought on separate applications.
Priority assessment service
Council’s new priority assessment service is an optional service which provides applicants with an additional level of service during the assessment process. Applications will be managed by a Key Account Manager who will provide the following:
- a tailored assessment schedule developed in consultation with the applicant
- coordination of the assessment team, and other internal stakeholders to ensure the assessment is given the priority needed to meet agreed timeframes
- regular reports and status updates
- pre and post approval support to the customer
- a single point of contact to respond to questions and resolve issues that may arise during the assessment process.
The priority assessment service does not reduce or fast track assessment timeframes, it provides applicants with an additional level of service during the assessment process.
Payment of an application fee and annual permit fee per each advertising device is required upon lodgement of your application with Council.
In addition to an application under the Local Law, the device may require a building approval under the Building Act 1975. Contact a building certifier for advice as to whether the device requires building approval.
How to apply
1. Supporting documents:
Prepare the attachments required for your online application as Word, PDF or JPG files.
Required attachments include:
- site plans with location of all existing structures and proposed signage
- device/s design and construction details (either photos or drawings showing size, shape etc.)
- If you are not the owner of the premises, a complete owner’s consent form (Word - 13kb).
2. Application for advertising device approvals
Complete the Application for advertising device approvals online form including:
- uploading your supporting documents
- paying the application fee using a Visa or Mastercard.
Right to review
If you are given an approval that is subject to conditions, or your application is refused you may apply to Council for a review of the decision. The application for a review must be made within 20 working days from the day on which the decision notice is given to you.
For more information specific to your situation, phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).