Filming and still photography consent

Brisbane City Council regulates film production and still photography to ensure that activities are carried out safely and disruption to residents and businesses is minimised. Consent is not required for filming or still photography conducted solely on private property.

If you are planning to film or photograph in public areas, find out:

When you need consent

The following activities require consent:

  • any use of Council managed assets/venues including City Hall, King George Square, Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium, pools, cemeteries, libraries, malls, community halls, CityCats/transport services, parks, roadways, footpaths etc, (including placing equipment on a footpath as part of the filming activity)
  • vehicle access to public areas (for example, parks, malls, roadways, footpaths)
  • all student films or still photography in public areas or Council managed assets/venues
  • use of a Remote Piloted Aircraft (RPA/drone) in public areas
  • wedding photography where:
    • to promote photography business (for example staging the photo shoot for advertising purposes)
    • in parks requiring exclusive use of an area or within a bookable space
    • use of Council managed assets/venues.

When no consent is needed

Consent is not required for the following:

  • filming or still photography solely on private property
  • filming for live to air reporting, news or current affairs for an existing television program or a television program with a definite on-air schedule
    • note: approval may still be required via Council’s media team.
  • wedding photography where not using props or the exclusive use of any section of a Council park
    • note: if wedding photographer is staging the photo shoot for advertising purposes or the filming/photography involve the use of other Council locations other than parks, then consent is required.

If you are unsure if consent is required, contact the Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).

Properties not managed by Council

The following locations are not managed by Council so you will need to contact these properties/venues directly to request permission to use them for filming:

How to apply

Brisbane's Film Liaison Office provides convenient services to filmmakers/photographers. If consent is required, you will need to submit a filming in Brisbane consent application to Council.

  • For a low impact filming/photo shoot, you must submit the application form with site maps and all supporting documents to Council a minimum of five working days before the filming/photo shoot commences.
  • For larger projects, you need to submit all information a minimum of one month in advance.

Applications cannot be assessed until all required information is submitted.

Note: If you propose to film/shoot on a road including placing equipment, props or talent on the road, you can apply for a road closure as part of your filming in Brisbane consent application. Find out more about road closures for filming.

Supporting document requirements

Prepare the attachments required for your online application as Word, PDF or JPG files. Required attachments include:

  • site map for each location - a photo or detailed map with locations and equipment clearly marked
  • Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance
    • for a minimum of AU$20 million
    • must be valid for period of filming
  • resident/business notification letter
  • safe work method statement/risk assessment
  • budget outline for production
  • for vox pops:
    • interview questions to be asked to members of the public
  • for students:
    • a letter from the lecturer confirming:
      • proof of enrolment in the relevant subject/unit
      • the filming is part of course assessment
  • for RPA
    • Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance for the RPA pilot for a minimum of AU$20 million
    • must be valid for period of filming 
    • site Map for launch and land (exclusion zones) 
    • risk assessment 
    • CASA accreditation documents:
      • ​ReOC/RePL, operators certificate, ARN 
      • any exemption documents from CASA
  • for road closures:
    • a copy of the Traffic Management Plan for road closure in accordance with the Department of Transport and Main Roads' Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) Part 3 - Works on Road
    • a completed Queensland Police Service application for general permit (road closure). If you require a copy of this form, contact the Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).

Apply now and upload your supporting documents

Film and still photography consent for students

Student projects are subject to the same rules and consent requirements as professional productions, however there are some key provisions to note:

  • no consent fee - Council waives the film consent fee for student projects
  • proof of enrolment - students need to provide a letter from the lecturer confirming:
    • proof of enrolment in the relevant subject or field
    • the filming is part of the course assessment
  • public liability insurance - students must obtain a Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance from their study institution. This needs to be for a minimum of AU$20 million and must be valid for the period of filming.

Planning a film/photo shoot can have its challenges. To make the process easier, minimise the paperwork and focus on the creative side, download the tips for student film production (Word - 137kb).

Application fees

An application fee will not be charged in the following situations:

  • low impact film productions involving minimal crew
  • film productions with a budget of $100,000 or less
  • not-for-profit screen industry development organisations
  • religious and charitable organisations listed in Qualifying Type 1 Religious or Charitable Organisations Register
  • news or current affairs for an existing television program or program with a definite on air schedule
  • a story featuring an interview with an approved Council spokesperson
  • a story that promotes Brisbane City Council products, services or initiatives
  • a program that promotes Brisbane as a destination and credits Brisbane City Council in end credits
  • students at school, TAFE, university or those undertaking an approve course.
Fee for filming in Brisbane.
Filming in Brisbane application$799.35 *

* includes GST.

Fees are not payable at the time of submitting the application but will be invoiced before the permit is issued. When invoiced, you can make payment online or at one of Council's Regional Business Centres.

The fee is a one-off fee for each new production that provides access to approved Council assets for the duration of filming. Where appropriate, a performance bond may be required and Council may negotiate an appropriate fee for direct use of Council assets, including but not limited to:

  • use of council car parks
  • metered parking spaces
  • any after-hours filming requiring Council staff attendance
  • Council buildings and areas managed by Council or its representatives, such as malls, King George Square and Community Halls hire fee.

More information

For more information, phone the the Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.