Food Safety Supervisors
Under the Food Act 2006, all licensable food businesses in Queensland must have a Food Safety Supervisor. A Food Safety Supervisor takes a lead role in supervising food safety within the food business. A Food Safety Supervisor must be reasonably available at all times the business is operating.
A reasonably available Food Safety Supervisor should be:
- on the premises, or
- available for Council or food handlers (staff) to contact whenever there is food handling.
A Food Safety Supervisor should:
- know how to recognise, prevent and alleviate food safety hazards of the food business
- have skills and knowledge in matters relating to food safety relevant to the food business
- have the authority to supervise and give directions about food safety matter and to people who handle food in the food business.
Anyone who meets the above requirements may be a Food Safety Supervisor. This includes the business owners, the licensee, the manager or an employee or an external contractor.
A Food Safety Supervisor does not require formally recognised training. However, Council recommends some form of formal food safety training is undertaken.
There is no fee for notifying Council of your Food Safety Supervisor.
You need to advise Council:
- the name and contact details of the Food Safety Supervisor within 30 days of the licence being issued
- the name and contact details of any new Food Safety Supervisors within 14 days of the person becoming a Food Safety Supervisor
- if there is any changes to the contact details of the food safety supervisor within 14 days of the change
- if a person ceases to be a Food Safety Supervisor within 14 days of the change.
Notification or amendment
You can notify Council of your Food Safety Supervisor by phoning Council's Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) or via mail to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.
The Local Government Toolbox provides helpful tools and resources.
For further information call Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.