Brisbane Food Trucks initiative
Gourmet food trucks are a growing small business sector in Brisbane, with the local food truck scene rapidly expanding and gathering a strong following. Brisbane City Council’s Food Trucks Initiative aims to support the Gourmet Food Truck industry and provide residents with unique and creative food experiences that celebrate our cultural diversity and subtropical climate.
The initiative will improve guidance and regulation to allow the industry to better use Council-controlled spaces by providing ease of access to booking sites, such as road reserve and parks.
Gourmet Food Truck approval
Mobile Food Businesses can now apply for a Gourmet Food Truck Approval which will allow them to trade from Council land. The Gourmet Food Truck Information Kit has been developed to outline how, when and where Gourmet Food Trucks can operate.
As a general guide, for new Gourmet Food Trucks, fees that may apply for the 2022-23 financial year are outlined below.
|Design assessment||$408.75 each application|
|Application fee for consent
(for businesses that have received design approval)
|$213.10 each application|
$171.55 per month
These fees do not attract GST.
Brisbane Food Trucks website
The Brisbane Food Trucks website is a one-stop-shop for gourmet food trucks. It features an interactive map for the public to easily locate their nearest food truck and find out which trucks are serving across Brisbane and when. Users can also search for their favourite truck by cuisine type and learn about upcoming food truck events. The website will allow food truck operators to create profiles, upload menu information and take advantage of GPS technology to enable customers to track their location.
All food trucks that have a Gourmet Food Truck Approval will have a profile on the Brisbane Food Trucks website. Food trucks who do not want to apply for a Gourmet Food Truck approval are still able to apply to be part of the Brisbane Food Trucks website. To apply for the website, you will be required to complete the Design Assessment - Website only. Note that the design assessment fees apply.
How to apply
The application process has two stages. The Gourmet Food Truck Approval Roadmap (PDF - 59kb) shows the steps required in each stage. Stage 1 is a design assessment and Stage 2 is a self-assessable permit.
You can complete the steps online using the links provided in each stage below.
Stage 1: Design assessment
- The applicant must complete a Brisbane Gourmet Food Truck Design Assessment Application online form, provide all supporting documents and submit to Council for assessment. A design application fee is required.
- Council will undertake an assessment of the application against the mandatory requirements. The assessment will be conducted by the Gourmet Food Truck design review panel.
- Well-made applications will be processed within 10 working days.
- Applicants will be notified whether they have been successful. Successful applications may then proceed to Stage 2.
Stage 2: Self-assessable approval
- Approved applicants will receive a reference number to be used to complete the Self-Assessable Gourmet Food Truck Application online form. An application fee and occupation fee are required at this time. You can pay with a Visa or Mastercard.
- Applicants must print their Gourmet Food Truck Approval and are required to keep this in the vehicle at all times when trading on Council land.
- Approvals are issued on a per vehicle basis for a period of 12 months and must be renewed six weeks prior to the expiry date. Operators are provided with the option to pay in quarterly instalments. An approval is specific to each food truck and is not transferable between vehicles.
Trading locations for non-approved Gourmet Food Trucks
Food trucks operators who are not approved as a Gourmet Food Truck can still trade from a range of locations.
Find out more information about mobile food businesses and permitted trading locations.
For more information about the Brisbane Food Trucks initiative, phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) or email BNE Food Trucks.