Outdoor dining in malls
As part of our vision for a well-designed, subtropical city, Council supports outdoor dining in malls to take advantage of Brisbane’s unique climate and relaxed lifestyle. Council regulates outdoor dining in malls to ensure pedestrian access and safety.
When you need a permit
Food businesses in the Queen Street or Valley Malls need a permit to put tables and chairs for dining in the mall space directly outside their premises.
Outdoor dining permits are issued on an annual basis and take 10 working days to process.
An application fee of $115.00 must be made when submitting the application.
If the application is successful, a permit fee will be charged for each square metre used for outdoor dining:
|Queen Street Mall||$750 per square metre|
|Valley Malls||$229 per square metre|
These fees do not attract GST.
How to apply
1. Supporting documents
Prepare the attachments required for your online submission as Word, PDF or jpg files.
Required attachments include:
- site plan indicating proposed layout for outdoor dining
- certificate of currency for public liability insurance to the value of $20m
- photos of the proposed permitted area and proposed outdoor dining furniture.
2. Outdoor Dining in Malls Permit Application
Complete the Outdoor Dining in Malls Permit Application online form and:
- upload your supporting documents
- pay the application fee using a Visa or Mastercard.
For specific information on outdoor dining in the Valley Malls, you can refer to the following documents:
- Outdoor dining guide (PDF - 9.66Mb)
- Outdoor dining guide (Word - 420kb)
- Outdoor dining guide Dos and Don'ts (PDF - 1.42Mb)
- Outdoor dining guide Dos and Don'ts (Word - 95kb).
To find out more about outdoor dining in the Queen Street or Valley Malls, you can email City Malls Management or phone us on 07 3403 8195.