New registration for dogs
Brisbane City Council only registers dogs that live in Brisbane. New residents must register or transfer their dog's registration within 14 days of moving to Brisbane. Dog registrations are valid for 12 months from date of registration or renewal.
Lodge your application with the appropriate registration fee by:
- completing the dog registration online service
- visiting an animal rehoming centre
- visiting Council
- completing and mailing a hard copy of the dog registration application form with a cheque or money order to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.
You can receive six months free registration if you buy your dog from:
The seller must:
- Stamp or write their name (as shown on their animal permit).
- Forward the completed dog registration application form to Council.
- Microchip the dog.
Sellers participating in this program may request application forms and reply paid envelopes. Council issues registration renewals before animal registration finishes.
Guide dogs and other assistance dogs
The blind, vision or hearing impaired receive free registration for assistance dogs. You must submit an animal registration form and a copy of the:
- guide or hearing handlers identification card
- appropriate handlers identification card.
Government entity dog
The Animal Management (Cats & Dogs) Act 2008 exempts a government entity dog (e.g. a police or customs dog) from registration and microchipping. Council does not require an animal registration form for these dogs.
Pet owners moving to Brisbane can transfer their remaining registration to Council by lodging a dog registration application form. You can submit your transfer from another Council, only via mail or at a Regional Business Centre. You must provide:
- the current registration
- declared dangerous or menacing dog information (if applicable).
Once registered, Council will send you an identification tag for your pet to wear constantly.
For currently registered dogs, Council replaces lost, damaged, illegible, faded or faulty registration tags, free of charge.
Council will send a replacement tag within 10 working days.
Dog registration benefits
Registered dogs are more likely to be returned to their owners if lost. Other benefits include:
- a Council registration tag
- Council activities for you and your dog, including dog parks and exercise facilities
- a 24 hour lost and found service
- the investigation and resolution of dog problems.