Permit exemptions for protected vegetation

Some work is allowed on vegetation protected by the Natural Assets Local Law 2003 (NALL) without a permit. You must obtain a permit from Brisbane City Council to work on protected vegetation for any work not covered by an exemption (read through the Do I need a permit document’ (Word - 110kB)  to help decide whether a permit is required). 

Vegetation clearing for fire management that may be considered exempted activity under the Queensland State Government Planning Regulation 2017 may still require approval under NALL.

To find out if your property has protected vegetation, and what type of protection category applies, you can request a map and report online or contact Council on 07 3403 8888.

Exemption eligibility

Exemptions only apply to protected vegetation which is located within your property boundaries. To work on a property which you do not own, you must apply for a permit and obtain the property owner’s consent.

Exemptions do not apply to pruning vegetation on Council land, however, some minor pruning work can be conducted on Council street trees by obtaining a minor street tree pruning permit.  Find out more information about pruning a street tree.

Exemptions do not apply to significant landscape trees (part of the Significant Urban Vegetation category). Request a map and report online or contact Council if you have Significant Urban Vegetation category on your property and would like to know if there are significant landscape trees on your property.

Exemptions under the NALL do not apply to vegetation protected by other legislation which may include: 

To carry out any work on tidal vegetation you will need to apply for a permit from Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, phone 13 25 23.

Works in areas of mapped regional ecosystems may require additional permits from the Department of Environment and Science.

To find out if your property has protected vegetation, including whether heritage protection or development approval conditions may apply to vegetation on your property, you can request a map and report online or contact Council on 07 3403 8888.

Do I need a permit?

Read through the exemptions table in the Do I need a permit document (Word - 110kB) to help decide whether a permit is required. 

Further information

A full list of exempt activities is set out in the Natural Assets Local Law 2003 available from the Queensland Government website.

If you are unsure if an exemption applies to your situation please contact Council. Penalties apply for the unlawful removal of or interference with protected vegetation.

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.