Commercial activities on Council roads

Under Brisbane City Council’s Public Land and Council Assets Local Law 2014, Council regulates commercial activities on Council roads to:

  • protect the safe passage of pedestrian traffic along the verge
  • prevent interference with vehicles using any lawful crossing over the verge
  • ensure the safe management of traffic along the carriageway
  • protect the safety of people using the road as pedestrians, cyclists or motorists
  • protect Council assets from damage and ensure that those assets are kept accessible and clean
  • minimise adverse impacts on the amenity of the immediate vicinity of the activity. 

Regulated activities

Regulated activities on Council roads include:

  • busking (with or without the use of amplification equipment)
  • conducting a promotional activity on a road or colonnade
  • displaying or storing articles (e.g. boats) or vehicles on a road or colonnade
  • installing or operating a vending machine on a roadside
  • setting up a free newspaper dispensing machine in or on any roadside
  • setting up or using in or on any road any stall, booth, stand, tables or chairs or both or standing vehicle for a purpose of or connected with the carrying on of any commercial or promotional activity.

Council consent is required to conduct any of the regulated activities.

Prohibited activities

Under the local law, selling a motor vehicle on or from a road is a prohibited activity and an on-the-spot fine applies.

The Public Land and Council Assets Local Law 2014 is available for download from the State Government Local Laws database.

Roadside standing stall or vehicle consent

Specific consent is required for any commercial activity on a Council road. This applies if you want to set up near roads or Council footpaths or verges, or near a colonnaded area, for commercial or promotional purposes, using any of these:

  • stall
  • booth
  • stand
  • tables or chairs (not associated with footpath dining)
  • stationary vehicle

For example, a fresh flower business wanting to set up a marquee, or a food vendor wanting to base themselves in a roadside position will require this consent. The food vendor will require this consent in addition to their food business licence.

Brisbane food trucks

If you own a mobile food truck and wish to operate at various, preidentified sites across Brisbane, you may be eligible for Council’s Brisbane food trucks Initiative.

Approvals are renewable annually and are valid for 12 months from the date issued.

Fees for roadside standing stall or vehicle consent

You will need to apply for separate consent for each location you intend to operate from.

Assessment and application typesFee
New application$895.55
Consent renewal$111.40
Variation of conditions by applicant$393.85
Occupation feesee below

Successful applications pay an occupation fee based on the zone location and floor area used. This applies to each square metre of space occupied under the permit each year:

ZoneAreaPer square meter per year
Zone ABrisbane City (not including Queen Street Mall)$1396.65
Zone B
  • Fortitude Valley (not including the Valley Malls) and Spring Hill
  • Racecourse Road, Hamilton
  • Given Terrace, Paddington
  • Oxford Street, Bulimba
  • Jephson Street, High Street and Sherwood Road, Toowong
  • Park Road, Milton
  • Logan Road, Stones Corner
  • Kedron Brook Road, Wilston
  • Boundary Street, West End
Zone Cother areas$697.60

*These fees do not attract GST.

How to apply for standing stall or vehicle consent

Prepare supporting documents for your online application, including:

  • plans to scale showing dimensions and distances to neighbouring properties and street furniture (maximum A3)
  • photograph/plan of standing vehicle/stall/booth/stand/tables or chairs to be used
  • photograph of proposed area
  • information on how pedestrian safety will be managed
  • information on how customer queuing will be managed.

Apply with the online form and select the “Commercial activity on a Council road” application type to apply for standing vehicle/stall/booth/stand/tables/chairs consent. Note that your proposal does not need to relate to a food business.

Successful applicants then pay an occupation fee based on the zone and square metres.

Applications for a consent will be subject to the following considerations:

  • must be located where it is unlikely for traffic hazards or interruption to free traffic movement to occur, or impact pedestrian safety
  • if a site is on a state controlled road the application should have an approval letter from the Department of Main Roads
  • any permit will be issued to a single individual at a single specified location only.

Applications will not be approved if:

  • the site is located on a road to which abutting property is permitted access
  • the site is near a school, shop, other approved standing vehicle or other approved outlet selling similar goods
  • the use will create hazardous and/or nuisance situations
  • the vehicle is located on a site where or at a time when standing of a vehicle would be unlawful
  • the site is outside the Central Traffic Area and the vehicle cannot be located within the road reserve, at least 10 metres clear of the nearest traffic running lane and at least 50 metres clear of the nearest intersection.

Inspection request

If you are planning to purchase an existing business with a standing vehicle/stall/booth/stand/ tables or chairs approval or need to demonstrate compliance for an insurance or bank application, you can request an inspection report outlining the current compliance status of the premises/activity.

For more information

  • call Council Business Hotline on 133BNE, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.