Lord Mayor’s Green Heart Photography Competition
The annual Lord Mayor’s Green Heart Photography Competition challenges Brisbane residents to capture creative, emotive and inspiring images of our natural environment. This year we want to see how you interpret the theme ‘Colours of Brisbane’ through an environmental lens. Explore your local park, backyard or natural area and help us work towards a cleaner, greener Brisbane for future generations.
How to enter and vote
Entries will be accepted from 8am 13 October to 5pm 5 November 2018. You will be able to enter via the online form or by using the hashtag #mygreenbne on Instagram. When entering on Instagram, please include the category you wish to enter and ensure your profile is set to public in order for it to be a valid entry. Please read the terms and conditions before entering.
Submit your photos into the competition.
Thirty finalists' images will be chosen for public voting, which will be open from 2pm 13 November to 5pm 26 November.
Theme: ‘Colours of Brisbane’
This year’s theme puts our unique natural landscapes, flora and fauna in focus and highlights the importance of keeping Brisbane clean, green and sustainable. Capture our natural environment, scenery and wildlife through your environmentally focused lens and show us your ‘Colours of Brisbane’.
Explore your local bushland reserve to see the towering trees, interesting insects and colourful lorikeets or visit Mt Coot-tha at sunrise for a multi-coloured city panorama. From the blue-mauve of flowering jacarandas to capturing the sunset glow reflecting off the waters of Moreton Bay, inspiration can be found all around.
- Primary school ages
- Secondary school ages
All entrants using the online entry form will need to provide a short statement explaining how their image represents the theme ‘Colours of Brisbane’. When entering using Instagram, include the category you are entering in your caption.
There are fantastic prizes on offer in this year's competition.
- Overall prize – one overall winner will receive two nights glamping accommodation for up to two adults and two children at Castaway’s Moreton Island Adventures including return transfers and a $250 voucher for photography image printing
- Category winners – each category winner will receive a Fujifilm XT100 Black Mirrorless Camera with XC 15-45mm Lens from CameraPro
- Category runners-up – each runner-up will each receive a flexible tripod kit containing a Joby Gorillapod 3K Kit Black and Joby Grip Tight ONE Mount
- Voters prize – one randomly selected voter will receive a double pass for a daytime Story Bridge Adventure Climb
- School with most entries – one school will receive a one hour live animal presentation at their school from Geckoes Wildlife
Additionally, one lucky finalist will be selected by a panel of Council judges to have their image projected onto the William Jolly Bridge in December 2018.
Workshops and events
Join some of Australia’s top environmental photographers at free workshops and talks to inspire your entry into the competition. Get inspiration from Steve Parish, sharpen your smart phone photography skills or capture the perfect golden hour shot with your camera. For more information and to book, check the events calendar.
Finalists’ images will be part of a roaming exhibition around Brisbane in December and January. See all roaming gallery locations and dates.
View the 2017 finalist images in the slideshow below. Alternatively, you can view the images in the 2017 Lord Mayor's Green Heart Photography Competition finalists album in Council's Flickr account.
Looking for more inspiration? Learn about previous competitions and view the finalists' images below:
- 2016 Green Heart Photography Competition
- 2016 Lord Mayor's Young Environmental Photographer of the Year.
Find out more about Council's Green Heart initiatives by registering to receive our e-newsletters and stay up to date with green events, resources and ideas. For any questions regarding the competition, email the Green Heart team.