Inala Library refurbishment - Inala
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce that refurbishment of Inala Library commenced mid-October 2021, and is anticipated to be completed by early 2022, site conditions permitting.
Brisbane City Council libraries are well-loved community hubs for learning, socialising and connecting with the community. Regular maintenance and upgrades are important to ensure these facilities continue to meet the needs of residents and demand for community spaces and services.
The project is jointly funded by the Australian Government and Council.
About the project
Inala Library has been operating from its current location in the Inala Plaza since 1994.
A refurbishment plan has been developed using library staff and customer feedback. The library will be refurbished to provide a fit-for-purpose facility that meets the modern needs of the local community.
The refurbishment will include:
- a new meeting room with capacity for more than 40 people including a kitchenette and audio-visual facilities
- vibrant new spaces for children and young adults
- upgraded seating and study areas
- new service and internet desks to meet current design standards
- relocation of the library entry
- new self-service returns shelving
- new carpet, furniture, lighting and drinking fountain
- upgrading the ceiling in the entry corridor.
Impacts during construction
Access to certain areas of the library will be restricted in stages as work progresses. Library customers should expect some noise from hand-held tools and construction workers moving around the library.
Works will be undertaken from Monday to Saturday between 6.30am-6.30pm. Sunday works and night works will also be required. Works during these periods will be limited to low-impact activities.
Temporary library closure
To complete major works, the Inala Library is anticipated to close for approximately two months from 22 November 2021 to early-January 2022.
Library customers can continue to access limited library services throughout this period at a temporary library facility located in the Inala Hall. The temporary library will open:
- Mon, Tue, Wed and Fri 9am to 5pm
- Thur 9am to 7pm.
The temporary library will continue to deliver children’s literacy programs, JP services, free public wi-fi and collection of library holds.
Library customers can also access alternative library services at:
- Mount Ommaney Library, Mt Ommaney Shopping Centre, 171 Dandenong Road, Mount Ommaney
- Sunnybank Hills Library, Sunnybank Hills Shoppingtown, Corner of Calam and Compton Roads, Sunnybank Hills.
If you live or work near the library, or visit Inala Plaza, you may experience some noise related to the works. There may also be some pedestrian detours in place, so please follow any signs and directions from traffic controllers.
For more information about the library refurbishment, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Inala Library refurbishment
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.