New Everton Park Library
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce the new Everton Park Library project.
|Address||Everton Park Library, 561 South Pine Road, Everton Park|
|Project outcome||The project will deliver a contemporary facility which suits Brisbane’s climate, landscape and lifestyle|
Construction began in January 2023 and will continue until late 2023, weather and site conditions permitting.
You can download:
Brisbane City Council will deliver a new Everton Park Library that better meets the needs of the local community and the city’s growing population. The library design will deliver a contemporary facility which suits Brisbane’s climate, landscape and lifestyle. Strategically located next to the Everton Park Bowls Club, Fallon Cottage and Fallon Park, the new library will contribute to a thriving precinct that services the broader community.
The Everton Park Library opened in its current location at 561 South Pine Road in 1965. The last major refurbishment was completed in 1993-94. Customer research has highlighted the need for increased parking, improvements to accessibility, increased size, better use of space and increased connection to the outdoors.
The building design has incorporated a number of sustainable initiatives including energy efficient lighting and air conditioning systems; the siting, orientation and form of the building has been designed to minimise solar penetration into the building during summer while maximising solar penetration in winter. Roof water will also be collected by tanks to be used landscape and for irrigation purposes. Solar panels from the old library building were also removed and reused at Council’s Warra Animal Rehoming Centre.
Works began in January 2023 and will continue until late 2023, weather and site conditions permitting, with the new library expected to open in early 2024.
From Tuesday 17 January 2023 library services will be relocated to Fallon Cottage and will remain in this location throughout construction. Signage will be in place to direct visitors to the new location.
What the community can expect
- Demolition of the existing library and construction of a new library from late January 2023
- Contractors and construction vehicles around the library site and nearby streets.
- Access through Fallon Park will be limited for the safety of the public. Detour signage will be in place to direct visitors to Fallon Cottage throughout construction.
- Increased noise, dust and vibrations in the area including around Gearside Street, Fallon Street and around Fallon Park. Due to workplace health and safety, reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
- Please take care when visiting the temporary library including adhering to detours that may be in place.
- Work areas will be fenced off for the safety of the public and workers.
- Approximately 14 trees may need to be removed and/or trimmed in order to facilitate the new library. Any possible tree removals will be offset with new tree plantings in accordance with Council’s policies and relevant legislative requirements.
Site establishment including a laydown area on Gearside Street opposite the Everton Park Bowls Club that will be accessed by the contractor including equipment storage will start being set up in early January 2023.
- An increase in library floor space from the existing 454 m² to over 1000 m²
- An undercover carpark, with a new vehicle access driveway off Gearside Street
- Multi-purpose spaces and meeting rooms to support a diverse range of learning, literacy and cultural programs
- Library collection spaces for information, learning and leisure needs
- Computer lounge and Wi-Fi seating to support digital inclusion through supported technology access
- A children’s space to support early literacy development, learning through play and growing a love of reading
- A dedicated quiet room for independent work and study, and varied seating options to support collaborative work
- The existing library building, when demolished, will be replaced with a turfed park, and a pathway connection to Fallon Park.
View the artist impressions for the project in the slideshow below. If you'd prefer, you can view these images in the new Everton Park Library album in Flickr.
For more information about the new Everton Park Library project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (business hours)
- phone Council on 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.