Sherwood Arboretum history

Sherwood Arboretum was officially opened on World Forestry Day on 21 March 1925, with a planting of 72 Queensland kauri pines (Agathis robusta) along a central promenade named Sir Matthew Nathan Avenue in honour of the Queensland Governor at the time.

Many of the people associated with the opening and first plantings are well known today as founders of the state and Brisbane City, prominent local residents and landowners and leading scientists of the day including:

  • Sir Matthew Nathan, Queensland Governor
  • William Jolly, first mayor of Greater Brisbane
  • Archbishop James Duhig, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Brisbane
  • Romeo Lahey, local timber mill owner and founder of the National Parks Association
  • W.D. Francis, Queensland Herbarium and author of Australian Rainforest Trees
  • Edward Swain, District Inspector of Forests. Edward became the Director of Forests in 1928.

Sherwood Arboretum was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register in May 2007 in recognition of its historical importance.

Last updated:
Topics: sherwood

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.