Visitor Information Centre volunteers
Visitor Information Centre volunteers help visitors make the most of their time at Mt Coot-tha by giving advice and sharing Brisbane’s love of our iconic green icon, while also working closely with Botanic Gardens' volunteer guides.
Volunteering provides a great opportunity to share knowledge and meet a range of people from diverse backgrounds.
Role and commitment
As a volunteer you will be required to:
- attend the Visitor Information Centre where they will welcome visitors and offer assistance pertaining to Brisbane Botanic Gardens and Mt Coot-tha precinct (in rostered half-day shifts)
- ensure the Visitor Information Centre is tidy and has ample brochures and only current notices on display
- successfully complete a training course in visitor experience/customer focus
- be prepared to undertake relevant ongoing training and evaluation (including attending the Volunteer Guide guest speaker program)
- be punctual for reception duty and, if unable to attend, arrange their own replacement
- maintain confidentiality and loyalty to the Brisbane Botanic Gardens and Brisbane City Council at all times especially when dealing with visitors
- consult the Visitor Information Centre Welcome Team Manual on a regular basis
- use personal protective clothing - long-sleeved shirt, broad-brimmed hat (provided), secure non-slip footwear and sunscreen (provided) according to Workplace Health and Safety guidelines
- attend regular quarterly meetings (with Brisbane City Council staff) whenever possible.
Becoming a volunteer
The next intake for Visitor Information Centre volunteers will occur in April and September 2018.
For more information about becoming a Visitor Information Centre volunteer phone Council on 07 3403 8888.